Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Seven Advantages ?  (Read 607 times)
N7DM

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »

Can anybody tell me something(s) SPECIFIC that WIN7 does for them that VISTA didn't?  My recent VISTA-64 came with free upgrade to WIN7, and so far, I have not found ONE thing that *I* do, that WIN7 does better than Vista, and a few... more awkwardly. Ready to reformat back to V-64 [which has been great, for me]. I'm thinking the whole W7 thing is progapanda... to somebody, please, educate me !

dm
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:19:41 PM »

As you indicate, the advantages/disadvantages of any OS is always a question of what the individual user is doing with it.

I heard over and over how awful is Vista compared to XP. But when I needed a new laptop a year ago, I took the plunge and acquired a Vista machine, and have found it to be just fine -- for me.

That said, take a look at what respected Wall Street Journal computer columnist Walt Mossberg has to say about the improvements W7 provides over Vista:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20091007/a-windows-to-help-you-forget/?mod=ATD_search

Then, decide for yourself.

Mel - KS2G
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Mel...  Only one have received ANYWHERE that made sense!  And that article is certainly exhaustive.  It is only reasonable that each 'new' version of anything should improve areas...introduce others. I think the clincher is your observation regarding the individual user. As a user of '98SE, XP, VISTA 32/64, now [at my option] WIN7, I feel that for us, VISTA has the most small features, etc. I can list them as well as list the things in WIN7 that are not good for us. I have asked on four (4) 'computer' forums, for specific things that WIN7 did better, for them, but alas, all I get is rude remarks and what I call the tendency to defend to the death that which you are stuck with [or paid good money for]. I may run my Free Upgrade DVD some day when CANON has come out with WIN7-64 drivers for my camera, but not until then.

Hope to see you around the bands, Mel...

VY 73

dm
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »

Things I like better on Windows 7 than Vista:

UAC  - The now famous User Account Control that was waaaaay intrusive on Vista, to the point I turned it off altogether, is "tamed" in W7.

Taskbar -  I always overuse the browser Smiley and with the W7 taskbar it's a little easier to hover over the taskbar icon and see the window I want which brower window I one I want to select.

The fun part is that I don't have anything that "needs" even XP. Windows 2000 runs fine Smiley

I hated Vista until I turned UAC off and Service Pack 1 came out.
Since Service pack 1, it would no longer try to index my hard drive every time I clicked on drive C:

The most subjective thing I like about windows 7 is some sort of philosophical admission of guilt that yes Vista was screwed up,got a bad reputation and since we (MS) fixed it the only way to get away from the stigma is to introduce a "New" operating system called Windows 7 Smiley

Obviously, like the XP crowd, if Vista is what you really like there is no real reason not to go back to it, if the effort is worth it to you.
You've run both one the same machine so you have first had experience if the machine was more "snappy" with w7 than with vista.

Like with most things MS changes, it OK if you were never used to something else before.

NT4 was fine for me even when "computer guys" (used to windows 3.1 and windows 95) kept saying how "hard" NT4 was to work with.

What version of windows were you running before the new machine ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: