Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *%&$^& Dell Laptop Power Supply!  (Read 12598 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

Oh! I forgot to mention when writing about the Dell and HP laptop supplies that don't cause and RFI, they come with healthy knots on the output cord that are probably EMI filters.

KF7CG
W1ES

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »

I think we've strayed from my main point, which was that there is no reasonably easy way to power one of these so it will recharge the battery or to power a docking station by using a run-of-the-mill linear power supply.
For practical purposes, I really don't care what inside the supply is causing the RFI, not do I want to debate the relative merits of whether or not the DC line has a ferrite on it (which could be of a completely inappropriate composition on these Chinese-made knock-offs anyway).
I've found a supply that, after wrapping the power cord around a large ferrite, generates noise at a low enough level that I can hear most stronger stations.  I've moved the 6m rig away from the computer.  It's the solution I have to use, but a much better solution would have been to be able to use a nice, stout Lambda linear supply.  My bone of contention is that you can't disable the "feature" from the setup or otherwise in the software.

Cheers,

W1ES
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »

Great, sounds like the problem is solved, see you on the air.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: