Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn rig on/off via Remote Desktop  (Read 966 times)
K1QN

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2010, 05:55:25 AM »

I run QRP PSK-31 and JT65A via remote desktop.  Does anyone know a way to switch a 12 volt supply by computer control?  Seems simple enough, but I can't find any products that fill the bill.  The closest I can find is a device that uses the 5volt line from a usb port to turn printers and other peripherals off when the computer itself is turned off. 

The situation is this:  the computer will be on 24/7, and be accessed via remote desktop.  At that point, the rig (XCVR) will be turned on, then turned off before disconnecting. 

One approach is to use the RTS line from a serial port to drive a solid state relay. 

Any ideas? 
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »

Depending on the software you may be able to write a macro to send a custom command out the rig control RS-232 port. You could tap off the RS-232 send data in parallel with the radio and send it to a small PIC that would recognize the command and switch off power to the radio. With MixW, for example, you could place a buttons for radio on and radio off that would send the custom commands.

Another option, again depending on how the software operates, may be to detect DTR on the rig control RS-232 port and control the power switch from that. If the DTR goes active when the software is run and inactive when the software terminates then you are in business. The radio will turn on when you start the program and turn off when you close the program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: