Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apprentice licensing structure  (Read 10984 times)
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »

What are the fundamental operational differences between the skills and knowledges required to safely and courteously operate my amateur station at 14.024 MHz versus 14.026 MHz that the latter operation absolutely requires the successful completion of yet another 50 question exam over material contained in a 600 page "Extra Class" license manual?

Why stop there? Why not come clean about what you really want, Keith?

Keith did.  YOU have not "come clean" with your answer to HIS much earlier question.   Cheesy

Try answering this question:

Tsk, tsk, obvious Miccolis Misdirection into another subject.  This aids and abetts your own refusal to answer Keith's question.  Standard Operating Procedure used by Miccolis for a dozen years.

What you're really arguing for is the elimination of all license classes and testing above Technician. IOW, your argument against the Extra can be used against the Advanced and General as well.

So, once again with the gig of being a "Supreme Ham Court Justice?"  Keith is quite eloquent enough to tell US what he wants and HAS.

All you are doing with this (non) reply is to start a phony argument by "translating" his words into something quite different.  You MIGHT convince a few readers but all you have is some phony libelous "charges" which you cannot prove in a civil court of law...much less "moot court" as a pre-law student.

The major differences between General class and Extra class are:

(1)  A 50-question license class test.

(2)  Some not-yet-changed regulations about frequency use on HF ham bands.

(3)  Higher priority on requested "vanity" callsigns for Extra.

All that is for the year 2010 up to mid-July.  Since the code test went in the dumpster, there is no longer any 7 WPM equivalent difference from a pass-fail test element that no longer exists.

There really isn't ANYTHING you can grab onto to change what the regulations have become to explain your side of the argument.  You have none.  You should really concede but you are much too proud to do so.  All you do is engage in misdirection and obfuscation.

Yes, YOU have an Extra.  BFD, I have one too.  So has Keith.  He has one better in that he holds a Canadian amateur radio "extra-counterpart."  You do not have any Canadian amateur radio license.  Keith is also a Volunteer Examiner in both countries.  Are you a VE in the USA VEC system?  No?  Why not?

I can predict your response to my last question:  It will be a misdirective obfuscation about MY not being a VE.  You will, of course, ignore MY question since it (somehow) causes you some kind of emotional anquish.  Medical science now has calmatives for emotional problems, even testosterone boosters.  [I don't need either although I might ask for some soothers for reading some of the anquished wussy "opinions" of OFs about how "their" ham radio has "changed."

Way back in time, in order to get into the US Army Signal Corps to be assigned to a major headquarters HF radio station, I had to spend 8 weeks of Basic Training in learning how to effectively KILL the enemy.  Live ordinance was used, real bullets, loaded grenades, rocket-launched anti-tank weapons, etc., etc.  I couldn't go to any radio school until that was done.  Eleven months after enlisting I got to key on my first HF transmitter, 1 KW RF output on the second circuit to Okinawa.  But all of us had to keep up our basic infantry training after doing our 8-hour jobs in signal and doing it for the next three years there.

So, James, did you have to learn to KILL anyone before you could take an amateur radio test?  Maybe even for an "upgrade?"  Did you swear an oath to defend the constitution of the American Radio Relay League...with your life if needs be?  I only did my oath for the Constitution of the United States of America, putting up my life to fulfill that promise.  All us real military veterans have done so.

Keep that in mind, Jimmy, the next time you try to make fun of those of us who have truly served our country.

K6LHA
K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »

The solution that came to mind was to offer a limited apprentice license. It would allow them to operate on a limited set of bands (ie. 2m) and maybe limited power to something like 50 watts. Many states require a person to get a "trainee" license/permit and work as an apprentice before becoming an electrician, plumber, etc.. In most states these permits expire after 1-2 years and they must meet certain requirements to renew their permit such as taking a class. One solution would be the requirement to join a club and/or participate in some activity like field day. The idea is that they would eventually learn the theory and become a fully licensed ham, but it would be a learn as you go process.

Any thoughts? Is this a stupid idea?

"Quotes" from here are those of Lennie Anderson, "K6LHA"

I don't think it is stupid at all.  If anything, you are getting INTO the subject and may not realize it has already been done and it was called the Novice class license...roughly a half-century ago.  For ten years there have been no new Novice class licenses granted...by law from the "restructuring" order of 2000.

But that's not what you said in almost two decades of USENET rants, Lennie.  You were very consistent and very frequent in your rants against any suggestion of a stepped licensing structure, and adamant for a one-size-fits-all license.

You even insisted on a lower age limit for licensees, effectively limiting Amateur Radio access to almost anyone under 18!

See things a bit differently now that you have a ticket, do you?

For those of you who wish to see Mr. Anderson's other face, search your "USENET" engine of choice and look for "Lenof21" and "Lenover21", among others, and witness his other side.
[/B]

Amateur radio is not a union, a guild, or a craft.  It was always a hobby activity and done without any monetary compensation for any radio communication services.  That is why Amateur radio is called "amateur."  Trying to install an apprentice-journeyman-master grading just defeats the purpose of it being a hobby.

First of all, Amateur Radio is a "service" that permits indivduals with access to the radio spectrum for a multitude of purposes.  No where in Part 97 does it state that Amateur Radio is "just" a hobby. 

And "trying to install an apprentice-journeyman-master grading" defeats nothing.  In fact, it provides an opportunity for the un-knowledgeable and un-skilled to gain appropriate practice and experience without giving them carte-blanche access to priviliges that may be potentially harmful to that new operator or other radio service users.

The Technician class and General class amateur radio license tests each have only 35 multiple-choice questions.  Questions and answers are free from www.ncvec.org, the folks who make up the USA amateur radio license exams.

However it took YOU over six decades of "interest" to obtain a license.  Not until the last vestiges of practical skill demonstration were removed and "open" question pools permitted you the opportunity to 'learn' the test by rote memorization did you obtain a license.

Nothing in any of the exams is "complicated" technically.  The only "hard" part is remembering regulations and their proper answers.  All one has to do to pass them is get over the idea that tests are so HARD that you won't pass.  A lot of these OT zombies like to make up stories of how "bad" everything was when they were young and, for some perverse reason, try to frighten away newcomers.  Those OTs are just dipsticks.  I took all of my amateur radio license exams on the same day at age 74 and passed all of them with about   95 percent correct.

Despite a bit of broggadacio that you'd pass with a 100% with your eyes closed.  What happened to that, Lennie?

I used the same mental concentration to get my first commercial radio license in 1956 at the first try, about 51 years before I took my first amateur radio license test.  It is up to the individual to have the confidence to DO IT.

How ironic...Passed that "first commercial radio license in 1956", yet it took you almost 60 years to pass the Amateur exams, even without a Morse test since 91 and open question pools.

How unimpressive.

I see you've found a whole new audience to "impress" with your "wisdom" and "wit", Lennie.  Of course, it won't be long until they get to know the real you.

Steve, K4YZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: