Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-8800 Preferential Memory Scan  (Read 2941 times)
N9KCK

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »

I am trying to set up preferential memory scanning. and I followed the steps on page 41 of the manual. I can see the small arrowhead icon on the display for the channels set.
I can get it to scan all the marked memory channels when starting from a memory channel with the arrowhead marker. When I try to start scanning from an unmarked channel to scan all channels, it still only scans the marked channels.
Am I missing something? Is there a different setting that also needs to be set other than the instructions on pg 41 of the manual?
I am at a loss here.
Thanks in advance for any advice received.
Ken
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »

The manual is written in almost Engrish! You might want to visit these folks, as they sure make things easier to understand:

http://www.niftyaccessories.com

VA6BSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »

Ken, I could not believe it when I signed in, but I have JUST experienced the exact same problem.  It seems that the second paragraph on Page 41 of the manual is incorrect.  The ability to start a scan on an appended channel, and therefore scan ONLY appended channels OR start a scan on an unflagged channel and therefore scan ALL channels was the feature that attracted me to set up Preferential Scan in the first place.

Like you, I was able to properly mark certain channels with the revrerse triangle as per menu #37 - "MSM".  No problem.

However, when setting up the selection in menu #35 -"MSM" the radio will only scan channels that have been flagged, REGARDLESS of what channel you start the scan on.  If menu #35 is returned to "MEM" than all channels are scanned, once again REGARDLESS of what channel you start the scan on.

Essentially, if you transferred your selected channels into one of the blank memory banks, you could simply switch banks and accomplish the same thing.  Given that fact, it would be nice to think that Yaesu intended the feature to operate as described in paragraph 2 page 41 but it doesn't.  I called Yaesu this morning, spoke with "Ron" in technical support and although he was not familiar with the feature, he seemed to agree that paragraph 2 is NOT correct.

KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

FYI this is also the case with the FT8900R. The start scanning on a memory marked with the triangle and it'll scan only pref memories notation is incorrect.

Dave
VA6BSH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »

Dave, you are correct if Menu #35 is left in the default "MEM" positon.  If you toggle Menu #35 to "MSN" the radio will ONLY scan the flagged channels, even if you start your scan on an unflagged channel.  Essentially, Menu #35 toggles Preferential Scan "on" (MSN) or "off" (MEM) and the channel on which you start your scan is irrelevant.

Had the feature worked as described, it would have been kind of handy as you could elect to scan a full or partial memory bank simply be choosing the channel on which you started the scan.  No need to go in and toggle a memory. But, unfortuantely that is not the way it seems to work.

A it stands, I have found it easier to copy my potentially flagged channels into a new memory bank, which is easy enough to do, and swtiching memory banks is faster and does not require selecting a numbered menu.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

The 8900 memory management could have been much better IMHO. As it stands its not very intuitive. The radio basically has one big pool of memories and limits the way you can separate them out unlike the 7900 and the 8800.

Do you use the hyper memories for the "new memory bank"? I have not had time to wrap my brain around Hyper-memories yet. I probably should one of these days now that I have the programming cable and could undo the damage I can cause! ;-)

I loaded all the frequencies I could find for North Carolina in the radio. I have the freqs I want to scan daily marked, and scan them (MSN on) in the left VFO (6m and 10m are only available on that side) I have the right VFO set to a repeater I usually monitor. Scan on that side is set to "off"  so if I'm out of my QTH area I can scan the rest of the frequencies (basically every memory excluding 6m and 10m and the local air traffic control) I have loaded simply by scanning the right side VFO.

Dave

Dave, you are correct if Menu #35 is left in the default "MEM" positon.  If you toggle Menu #35 to "MSN" the radio will ONLY scan the flagged channels, even if you start your scan on an unflagged channel.  Essentially, Menu #35 toggles Preferential Scan "on" (MSN) or "off" (MEM) and the channel on which you start your scan is irrelevant.

Had the feature worked as described, it would have been kind of handy as you could elect to scan a full or partial memory bank simply be choosing the channel on which you started the scan.  No need to go in and toggle a memory. But, unfortuantely that is not the way it seems to work.

A it stands, I have found it easier to copy my potentially flagged channels into a new memory bank, which is easy enough to do, and swtiching memory banks is faster and does not require selecting a numbered menu.
W4HRC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »

W5JCK has a nice expanded manual for the FT-8800 that he has created that you can download for free at the link below. Page 53 of his manual explains the Preferential Memory Scan.

http://w5jck.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=30

Reed, W4HRC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: