Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood software with my laptop  (Read 593 times)
KB5VNU

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »

I recently purchased a Kenwood TH-D7AG with the software package. It turns out that the software on the CD does not go with this radio so I downloaded it from Kenwood. The interface cable on the computer end is a 9 pin serial connection.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 and has no serial port, only USB, Ethernet and a 15 pin video connections. None of these work. I went to an electronics store and they told me that a 9 pin to USB adapter will work, it doesn't. The program is still looking for com1. I have sent an email to Kenwood and have yet to receive a reply. It does work on my desktop but I bought this for ecomm to use it portable.

I have looked on the internet and have yet to find someone else who has this problem. I know that I am not the sharpest tack in the box but am I the only one really? Has anyone else run into this problem and how do I solve it short of buying a new laptop?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:53 PM »

Go to device manager and find what "com port" number the driver assigned to the USB to serial adapter.  Then change it to be com port 1.  This will most likely solve your problem.  Also verify that all your "com port" settings match the software settings for baud rate, stop bits and parity.
KB5VNU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »

Thanks for your input, I didn't think of that. I did try this myself but was unable to do this. I called Dell and they connected to my laptop and were unable to do this. They told me that I would have to get a driver from Kenwood. Kenwood keeps telling me that I just need to rename my comports. I don't have any comports and am unable to do this. I even tried doing this according to Windows instructions. Not on my laptop. Kenwood told me that this is the same setup that they use on all of their radios. I won't be buying anymore Kenwood products.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

hello Robert,

couple of questions for you,

did the usb<->serial adapter come with
a driver ?  did you follow instructions
before attempting to use the adapter  ?

are you using windows XP or Vista ?

73 james
KB5VNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »

The adapter was in a package by itself and did not come with a driver. There were no instructions with the adapter. The guy at the computer store told me that all I had to do was plug it in.

Do these adapters come with drivers? I would happily get one if possible. I really would like to be able to use my radio for what I purchased it for.

I am using Windows XP.

I really appreciate the help too.

Bob
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:53:53 PM »

hi Robert,

you can try to get xp to look for new hardware,
it may find the adapter and then autoload a driver.

if that fails, the adapter below is one of the best,
includes drivers.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

73 james

KB5VNU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »

James,

Yeah, I tried letting XP look for the driver, so did the tech at Dell but to no avail.

Thanks for the link, I ordered the adapter. Looks stout enough, is the driver on CD or do I download it from the website? Have you had experience with this unit?

Bob
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:47:56 AM »

Hi Bob,
The drivers should come on a CD. I use the Keyspan adapters with WIN XP,Vista and Kenwood radios.
Rob WA9UAA
KB5VNU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »

I'm glad to know that it comes with a CD. I like having a disk handy.

I like Kenwood, my first 2m radio was a Kenwood. This problem was driving right up the wall though. I bought my TH-D7AG ht simply because it had a built in TNC. I wanted something portable and easy to use. I want to explore digital. I have had this several weeks now and so far have not been able to use it for what I intended.

I would like to thank you all for your help. I will let you know how it works when I get the adapter.

Bob
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 06:48:52 AM »

I work in the manufacturing industry.  We have a terrible time with certain USB-serial cable adapters.  Not all USB serial cable adapters are equal.  There are voltage and timing issues from the serial port days.  I bought a USB-serial adapter from TigerDirect for my own personal use to program an FT-2800 via my Dell laptop.  It works flawlessly.  The cable also came with a driver.
KB5VNU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »

Well, I got the adapter today and got it working. Thanks a lot, I could not have done with without the information I got here.

Now I just have to figure out how packet works Smiley      But now I have a project to figure out.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: