Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 power supply for VHF radio?  (Read 7018 times)
KC4YJI

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »

Does any one know if a Xbox 360 power supply can be used to power a 2 meter mobile radio?  I told my nephew if he would get his license I would buy him a 2 meter mobile radio.  He is only 11 and his brother is big into video games.   I want something that will get him and his brother interested in the electronics side of our hobby.  I thought it would be neat if I could give him this to power his radio.  It would be something to talk about to his friends.

I found an Xbox 360 switching supply at a thrift store for $3.  Trying to learn myself, I figured it was time to do some tinkering.  I cut the plug off the end and wired some auto lights (8.93 amps) to it and left them on for over an hour with no problems overheating.  The voltage is 12.26v with no load, it drops to 12.2v with a 5 amp load on it.  I don't know if the voltage can be turned up or not.  The label on the supply says: 12v at 16.5 amps and 5vsb at 1 amp.  It is a 203 watt microsoft Xbox 360 video game console power brick.  I have read some about converting an ATX supply, but I don't know if this needs a constant load as a computer supply might need.  I have hooked this up to my 2 meter radio and run it (mostly on low power) for a couple days with no problems that I can see.

I am looking for a job right now so I am trying to save as much money as I can yet I  want something that will not cause problems down the road.  He lives about 2 hours away so I can't just drop by and "fix it."  His father know nothing about electronics nor has any interest in ham radio so he can't help if his son has a problem.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Scott
KC4YJI
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »

hi Scott,

Try and make a contact on your radio and ask if your
signal is clean on different power levels.

If so then you are good to go for now.

73 james
KC4YJI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

KE4DRN, thanks for the post.  I did talk to a few people on a local repeater.  They said there was no difference from my astron rs-20m, no hum or noise of any kind.

KC4YJI
KC4YJI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »

December 3, 2012  update: power supply working fine been using it for couple years now.  Never had a problem even running 50 watts.  Well pleased with my $3 find.
KF5UQJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

When you cutoff the connector, did you also cutoff the filter? They are pretty close together.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »

What did your voltage drop to when you ran 50w?  Was you able to get inside and adjust the voltage any?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: