Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tech and Echolink  (Read 407 times)
KD0DYJ

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »

I just got my tech license but I am a couple of weeks away from getting a radio.  I did install Echolink and got all the ports configured correctly.  I can connect to a repeater.  However, I can't figure out what to do next.    Do I just press the space bar, give my call sign and wait for somebody to come back?  I don't hear many others talking so I don't have anybody to copy from.  Is Echolink a good way to make your "first contact"?  I would like to make a contact, but just am lost for the moment.
KG9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:45:11 AM »

First, connect to the *ECHOTEST* conference.  This will allow you to record and play back your audio to make sure everything is working right and assist with audio level adjustments.

Once everything is adjusted, simply connect to a repeater and (assuming there is no one talking) request a contact.

Say something like "This is KD0DYJ calling for a contact, is anyone available?".  Repeat once or twice if necessary.  Your best chances for a contact on a repeater are during commute times and late in the evenings.  If you don't have any luck, try other repeaters.

Frank KG9NZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: