Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever try a MFJ-2310T mini-ham stick?  (Read 3791 times)
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »

Has anyone tried this antenna for mobile 10m FM? http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-2310T
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »

Any mobile antenna, less than a quarter wave in length, will have additional loss. How much loss depends on the Q of the coil, the overall length, and on the mounting methodology; in that order. In this case, the coil Q is very low, the length is compromised, and so is the mounting; a mag mount in this case.

The question remains, will you be able to make some contacts? The answer is yes, but the rest of the folks running full-length 1/4 waves, will work stations you won't be able to, unless the band is in very good condition. At present, 10 meters is very sporadic. You need the best you can do, and that certainly isn't a mini-hamstick, stuck on with a mag mount.

There is a lot more about this subject, on my web site.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »

I have used the MFJ-2320T 20 meter version of this antenna. It worked well enough until the loading coil burned up running 400 watts. Running just 5 watts on CW it made many contacts during days of good propagation. With just a single magnet mag mount it stayed on the car until 80 mph was reached, at which time it fell over.

I think the 10 meter version will work well.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »

Yeah, I know. Life sometimes calls for compromise. The plan is not to mount my 10m antenna w a mag mount, but with a hood seam mount in the trunk. You may remember that you told me not to use that type of mount, but then recommended it to someone else in a different post a while back.  

I'm looking at several antennas right now and am leaning towards a larsen nmo27. I asked about this one because googleing was not turning up much and I was curious.

The question was has anyone actually used one. I'm guessing your answer to that is no.

Any mobile antenna, less than a quarter wave in length, will have additional loss. How much loss depends on the Q of the coil, the overall length, and on the mounting methodology; in that order. In this case, the coil Q is very low, the length is compromised, and so is the mounting; a mag mount in this case.

The question remains, will you be able to make some contacts? The answer is yes, but the rest of the folks running full-length 1/4 waves, will work stations you won't be able to, unless the band is in very good condition. At present, 10 meters is very sporadic. You need the best you can do, and that certainly isn't a mini-hamstick, stuck on with a mag mount.

There is a lot more about this subject, on my web site.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:30:15 AM by Dave Sorenson » Logged
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »

Thanks for the info! If I decide to try this the max I'll be putting into it would be 50 watts. It might be a fun experiment for the money.

Dave

I have used the MFJ-2320T 20 meter version of this antenna. It worked well enough until the loading coil burned up running 400 watts. Running just 5 watts on CW it made many contacts during days of good propagation. With just a single magnet mag mount it stayed on the car until 80 mph was reached, at which time it fell over.

I think the 10 meter version will work well.
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »

Try it, you may be surprised.
I have 3 10m mobile antennas that I have and run.
10m Anttron hamstick
Hustler 10m standard resonator
Monkey Made MM-9 LS Trimmed cb antenna.

I like the MM-9 the best followed by the Hustler and then the hamstick.
I have made many contacts on the hamstick and it is the least visible to others.

I have my HF antenna mounted very high and always get people staring and not watching where they are going.  So the Hamstick is my choice for driving in town, HIHI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: