Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "QSL ?"  (Read 9111 times)
N4RSS

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »

I don't operate CW but could you guys who do please inform the masses that CW operators have the exclusive right to use Q signs and that the rest of us don't want to hear this interrogatory appended to every transmission ?

It would have a lot more impact coming from you all then we SSB folks, thank you for your time
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:48:01 AM »

Q codes on phone sound a little silly during casual conversation, especially if overused, but I'll continue to use QSL(?) during SSB contests.
K2PHD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »

Any way to reduce the transmit time while improving theoverall ability to communicate should be a goal of every operator. Therefore, the use of Q codes makes good operating sense. they should be part of every hams vocabulary.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »

Any way to reduce the transmit time while improving the overall ability to communicate should be a goal of every operator.

The problem is that the use of Q codes on voice often acts in the opposite way.

For example, last weekend on Field Day I heard voice ops saying:

"....seven-alpha, seven alpha, western Pennsylvania, double-you pea ay, QSL?"

What does the "QSL" at the end mean? Why not just say "over" or "go"? On CW, we just sent the exchange, no "QSL?".

Or I hear voice ops talking about "at the home QTH"...why not just "at home"?

Is "QSY" really shorter than "change frequency" on voice?

73 de Jim, N2EY
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »

I agree with K2PHD.
The Q codes have their place in radio, be it CW or SSB or even digital. 
It really sounds funny when folks use them on FM repeaters, Especially when they use the wrong ones. 

I use them a little on CW and less on SSB, but more on contests.  It is really funny when two stations wrap up a conversation on a UHF repeater and they both give their calls and then say QRZ? instead of QRT.  I hear them do that at least every week, HIHI.
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »

And that "HIHI" stuff on voice modes, dontcha' just hate that?

Pet Peeves; ya' gotta' feed 'em like any other pet!

Yo, 3's

John

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »

"I don't operate CW but could you guys who do please inform the masses that CW operators have the exclusive right to use Q signs and that the rest of us don't want to hear this interrogatory appended to every transmission ?"

What does that mean?

Inform masses?
Exclusive use of Q sings?
us/we don't want to hear interrogatory appended to ever transmission?

How can "we" not like it when "we" don't understand what you are complaining about?

Bob
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »

""QSL" at the end mean?"

It takes the place of "How copy? break"--HW? BK

It can be that ops who started out with CW only developed a pattern of doing something and associating a Q code with it.  For example, going up or down from a present frequency is QSY which accurately and succinctly describes the action.  Switching to a verbal description, changing frequency is a poor definition at best of the action.

Plus, I remember reading that the definition of words change with common usage, words migrate ( it turns out there are a lot of vuvuzela posters on eHam), and new words are created.

So.  The migration of Q-code to modes other than CW makes perfect sense to me.

To me adding verbal descriptors to a Q-code, home QTH, indicates the op doesn't know that QTH means location. It also indicates the op doesn't run CW.

IN the end, I focus on being the best op I can be and don't worry about how others choose to be ops.

73, yup, I use that instead of typing out "Best Wishes", AND I use it on phone too!

Bob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:06:46 PM by Robert Koerner » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

""QSL" at the end mean?"

It takes the place of "How copy? break"--HW? BK

Except that we CW ops don't do that stuff in a contest.

Here's a typical Field Day QSO on 'phone. W1ABC's transmissions are in parentheses, K2DEF's are in brackets:

(Hello CQ, CQ Field Day, CQ Field Day, here is W1ABC, Whiskey One Alpha Bravo Charlie, W1ABC, Field Day)

[Whiskey One Alpha Bravo Charlie, here is K2DEF, Kilo Two Delta Echo Foxtrot, K2DEF]

(K2DEF this is W1ABC, please copy five alpha, five alpha, eastern Mass, eastern Massachusetts, QSL?)

[W1ABC this is K2DEF, roger, QSL your five alpha eastern Massachusetts, here is three alpha, three alpha western New York, three alpha western New York, QSL?]

(K2DEF, QSL, thank you for the contact, 73,  this is W1ABC, QRZed Field Day, QRZed Field Day from W1ABC...)

And that's a short one, some of them drag it out a lot more.

The same QSO on CW:

(CQ FD FD DE W1ABC W1ABC FD)

[K2DEF]

(K2DEF TU 5A 5A EMA EMA)

[3A 3A WNY WNY W1ABC DE K2DEF]

(R TU FD FD DE W1ABC W1ABC FD)

Same info but not a wasted dit.

Note how the CW sending op doesn't ask if the other op copied the info, nor do the ops repeat what they copied. A simple "R" (meaning "received") does the whole job. Often the the "R" isn't needed, because it's obvious by the response that the info was copied. (K2DEF would not send his info if he hadn't copied W1ABC).

I don't know why 'phone ops drag it out so much, particularly on Field Day.

It can be that ops who started out with CW only developed a pattern of doing something and associating a Q code with it.

But that's rarely the case.

At least I don't hear hams saying "kay" at the end of a transmission...

The migration of Q-code to modes other than CW makes perfect sense to me.

It makes sense to me only if the use of a Q-code or other CW abbreviation actually saves time or clarifies things.

For example, as you point out, "73" has a meaning all its own regardless of mode, and is certainly faster and clearer than "best regards".

But often that's not the case.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »

"I don't operate CW but could you guys who do please inform the masses that CW operators have the exclusive right to use Q signs and that the rest of us don't want to hear this interrogatory appended to every transmission ?"

What does that mean?

Inform masses?
Exclusive use of Q sings?
us/we don't want to hear interrogatory appended to ever transmission?

How can "we" not like it when "we" don't understand what you are complaining about?

Bob

The linguistically impaired need not respond..or those without a sense of humor
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »

So -- You don't want to bother with learning the Q-codes and therefore everyone else should stop using them, is that right? 

Okay.

W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »

IN the end, I focus on being the best op I can be and don't worry about how others choose to be ops.

This is the best comment in the entire thread.

Scott W5ESE
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »

Some people send N2EY de WB1AUW K
Some send HW? BK

Some send R
Some send RRR

Some people append QSL?

Fortunately, they don't say Kay.

In tests I send 5NN BK.  Sometimes I have to send AZ, 2, 7, 1k OR 1tt, but I only send the info once, not AZ AZ.  It seems to work a high percentage of the time.
DX ops get the same report 5NN BK

It all works FB here OT.

10-4; signal report that includes mud or trees; destinated; I'm at the home QTH--I QSY. 
NOTE: I QSY, not change frequency.
NOTE: I still remember what a key click sounds like and the sig report to indicate it.

Bob
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 01:30:10 AM »

I don't operate CW but could you guys who do please inform the masses that CW operators have the exclusive right to use Q signs and that the rest of us don't want to hear this interrogatory appended to every transmission ?
It would have a lot more impact coming from you all then we SSB folks, thank you for your time
Could someone inform the paper magazine folks that only CW ops have exclusive rights to Q signs so they should stop publishing QST for non-code hams?

Could someone inform the paper QSL card manufacturers that CW ops have exclusive rights to Q-signs, so QSL cards should only be sold to CW ops?

Could someone inform the internet police that CW ops have exclusive right to use the Q signs and that qrz.com and qth.net should be taken down?

How about we tell Abba that they have to invent a time machine, go back to the 70's, and kill themselves before they record their mega-scandanavian-pop-hit "SOS" because that is only a CW distress call, and only for maritime emergencies?

I personally feel that using Q-codes and prosigns outside of CW communications (OK, maybe RTTY) is somewhere between stupid and excessively cutesy but it happens. And the Q-codes are mis-used by many CW ops too.

Tim.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:32:17 AM by Tim Shoppa » Logged
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »

Ok, on to other peeves:

Giving an RST multiple times:
UR RST 599 599 599 5NN 5 N N

GOOD GAWD.  With 599, it only has to be sent once. How
much better can the reception get? It's like me standing next
to you, yelling: "LOOKIN" GOOD" five times.

And then..... they tell you their QTH is: "Coucamongilinaberry", once!

HOLY ^%%$** when will it end?

Ok, Next?

73  SK

John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:59:11 AM by John » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: