Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "QSL ?"  (Read 7737 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 07:12:12 AM »

So -- You don't want to bother with learning the Q-codes and therefore everyone else should stop using them, is that right? 

QSL
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

Well.....Let's see.

I'm tryin out my new 6L6 rig on 40 M and the other op is running 1.5K.  He sends 359 QRN and I send 5NN 5NN 5NN.

Can I get your permission to do that Dad?  Can I please please please???

Here is what works for me, I take notes on what is sent.  If I don't like what the op is sending or saying, I bid 'em 73 and QSY.

With the advent of the internet and cheap web sites, one can set up a site telling other ops how to operate their stations, what they can and cannot say cause that is the way you want it, and they outta operate to please you.

Bob

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 04:42:33 AM »

Well.....Let's see.
I'm tryin out my new 6L6 rig on 40 M and the other op is running 1.5K.  He sends 359 QRN and I send 5NN 5NN 5NN.
Can I get your permission to do that Dad?  Can I please please please???
Here is what works for me, I take notes on what is sent.  If I don't like what the op is sending or saying, I bid 'em 73 and QSY.
With the advent of the internet and cheap web sites, one can set up a site telling other ops how to operate their stations, what they can and cannot say cause that is the way you want it, and they outta operate to please you.

Second class operators club motto: "Competence is tolerated but not encouraged".

http://www.qsl.net/soc/

Especially check out their suggested Q-codes:

QLF     I am sending with my left foot.
          QLF?    Are you sending with your left foot?
          QRC     Warning, rag chewer on frequency.
          QRC?    Are you a rag chewer?
          QOK     Your last transmission was Okie Dokie.
          QOK?    Was my last transmission OK?
          QFH     This frequency is MINE! - go elsewhere.
          QFH?    Is this frequency hogged?
          QBS     It's getting deep in here.
          QBS?    Did I tell you about the one that got away?
          QZZ     I fell asleep at the mike.
          QZZ?    Is that a 60Hz hum, or are you snoring?
          QBA     My antenna is BIG!
          QBA?    How big is your antenna?
          QHI     I am jumping in quick to say hi, then going QRT.
          QHI?    Are you leaving after only one transmission?
          QBO     Don't sit next to that gyu in the meeting.
          QBO?    Buddy, can you spare some soap?
          QNO     I am sending through a non-standard orifice.
          QNO?    Are you sending through a non-standard orifice?
          QCW     I am going to whistle Morse Code on FM (or SSB)
          QCW?    Why are you whistling Morse?
          QET     Phone home.
          QET?    Has anyone called me from another planet?

I for one, have been operating CW for only 31 years now, and know for sure that I've never been invited to join FOC :-)

Tim.
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 05:33:48 AM »

Bob

We all have "Pet Peeves", and reciting them are not directives, all they are, are comments.

John

NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »

Tim's Q-signs are hysterical!  I got a good laugh out of them. 

That's what this ham community needs: a little bit of lightening-up and a lot less stuffiness.

Congrats, Tim.  You rule!  QYR!

Bill in Pasadena
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »

Pet Peeve, ie complaint, about what someone else does, how they live their life.

"HOLY ^%%$** when will it end?"

So whose got the problem?  The other op or the one complaining?

Me.  I QSY.
My perspective is I can't manage my life perfectly--trying to run somebody else life would have far worse results.

73 OT
Bob
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »

Re:

"HOLY ^%%$** when will it end?"

The trouble with sarcasm, is that it's wasted on those that
have thin skin.

I personally can give a rat's rectum regarding this topic; I have
bigger fish to fry than who says: HI HI, QSL?, 73's, or giving
an RST fifteen times to someone that just told them they were
a 599 also. (But... band conditions can run out during long-winded
redundancy). (-that- was "sarcasm", btw)

I'm thankful for a cw qso with someone that's patient enough
to help me get back up to speed with this hobby.

Ham radio used to be fun. What happened to the sense of humor
that once permeated our hobby?

Seventy three'S

John

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:15:52 AM by John » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »

W7ETA writes: "Pet Peeve, ie complaint, about what someone else does, how they live their life....So whose got the problem?  The other op or the one complaining?"

Depends on the situation. It's not wrong to have standards.

W7ETA: "Me.  I QSY.
My perspective is I can't manage my life perfectly--trying to run somebody else life would have far worse results."

One doesn't have to be perfect before commenting on someone else's behavior.

The comments here aren't about any particular person; they're about concepts and behavior that could be improved.

AA1BN writes: "Ham radio used to be fun."

It still is, for many of us. But a lot of what makes it fun is having standards of behavior.

AA1BN: "What happened to the sense of humor that once permeated our hobby?"

It's still there. It's one of the standards I was talking about. Trouble is, not everyone gets the joke because they don't know the standards.

----

What I find most amusing is the logical contradictions that are missed by so many.

For example, one ham says it bothers him when 'phone ops use Q signals, HI HI, 73's, etc.

Another ham says that the first ham shouldn't try to control others' behavior, it's just a hobby, etc.

But the second ham doesn't realize that by telling the first ham not to comment, he (the second ham) is trying to control the first ham's behavior. And to a much greater extent!

Hilarious, really.

(btw, "73's" is wrong in two ways. Or maybe not at all)

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »

You're right "de Jim", there is too much knit-pickin' around.

(I remember a ham giving me an RST while on Pactor.... go figger?)

Seriously Jim, I thought it was contained to these forums, since
it's not always easy to get a point across using text alone; the nuances
of facial expressions, etc, are not there to indicate one's attitude
and intent.

But it's not just on the forums, we find discourse on all the bands
and modes also, and on the streets...

It's just people being people; misunderstanding one another,
firing a few rounds over some heads, waking up sleeping babies,
kicking pregnant moms.... and complaining about a "q" code.

QSL?

(By the way, you're text is a solid 599, 599, 599, 5nn)

(har har)

John

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »

You're right "de Jim", there is too much knit-pickin' around.

(I remember a ham giving me an RST while on Pactor.... go figger?)

Seriously Jim, I thought it was contained to these forums, since
it's not always easy to get a point across using text alone; the nuances
of facial expressions, etc, are not there to indicate one's attitude
and intent.

Which is really an indication of a couple of things:

1) people who aren't good writers, but think they are. There's a lot more to good writing than simply writing down what you would say in a face-to-face discussion. Good writers don't need smileys, either.

2) similar to 1) except on the reading end.

3) Some folks don't really know what they're actually saying.

4) Some folks use the online world to say things they'd never say in person. When you see someone write something really nasty with a smiley on the end, it tells ya something about their real intent.

5) And some folks just can't take a joke - particularly if they're on the receiving end.

IOW, "ZBM2"

(now watch the fur fly!)

But it's not just on the forums, we find discourse on all the bands
and modes also, and on the streets...

It's just people being people; misunderstanding one another,
firing a few rounds over some heads, waking up sleeping babies,
kicking pregnant moms.... and complaining about a "q" code..

Yup. Signs of the apocalypse. Dogs and cats living together...

QSL?

R TU

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »

This is my demurrer, the basil driver, seminal motion for a pet peeve is that others or someone doesn't live their life they way you think they should.  Personal standards are chosen; imposing your choices on other hams--pointless.

If you don't like someone's rig, amp, coax, antenna, rotator, antenna, mic, key, SWR meter, house, wife, operating desk, chair, Q-codes they use lack jargon or jargon they use, tests they took, use of crimp on connectors, net participation etc, my view is that you have the problem.

I post this to challenge your beliefs--what you decide has no effect here in the Sonora Desert.

73-73-73 HI hi
Bob
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »

This is my demurrer, the basil driver, seminal motion for a pet peeve is that others or someone doesn't live their life they way you think they should.  Personal standards are chosen; imposing your choices on other hams--pointless.

That's *your* personal standard...

If you don't like someone's rig, amp, coax, antenna, rotator, antenna, mic, key, SWR meter, house, wife, operating desk, chair, Q-codes they use lack jargon or jargon they use, tests they took, use of crimp on connectors, net participation etc, my view is that you have the problem.

But...your saying that I have a problem is just a way of voicing one of *your* pet peeves...

I post this to challenge your beliefs--what you decide has no effect here in the Sonora Desert.

73-73-73 HI hi
Bob

Exactly

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20:53 AM »

My mind is feeeble.  To understand I build as simple a model as possible. I reduce a complicated subject, the inner sanctum of peoples reactions, complaints, to a nexus of not liking what they see.  When it pertains to other people's actions, not like the way someone else behaves or lives their life.  If we assume the "others" are doing their best to live their lives, where is the problem?  Can the problem be in the "others?  Or in the person whose reaction is the "others" SHOULD or OUTTA change, what we don't like it.  To me, its human nature, others OUTTA change, live their life my way.

Any one is free to make up a story about my personal standards.
You can make up a story that my challenging SHUDDA and OUTTAs are a pet peeve.

Carry your complaints; carry your pet peeves; carry your stories about me--they aren't a burden here.

This is my standard: during the first sunspot cycle one can wonder about what is going on in ham radio; during the second sunspot cycle one can start formulating questions; during the third sunspot cycle one can start answering questions about the ins and outs of ham radio.  I imagine that during the fourth sunspot cycle one has the wisdom to just smile at the antics of all of the others.  HI hi  Maybe at the peak of this sunspot cycle I'll have wisdom?

Bob, three down; maybe one or two more to go?

Who was it that said anger/resentment is like taking a poison pill and hoping the other person drops dead.

AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

I got an opinion too  Grin

I look at Q-Signals the same way as I look at abbreviations (or whatever they are called) that are commonly used with texting or internet instant messaging. When you are typing out a message, especially on a cell phone keyboard, you quickly learn to use as few characters as you can to get the meaning across. This is the same thing "they" realized in the early days of CW.
However, when you are talking to someone in person, on the phone, or on ham radio voice modes, there is no reason to use these abbreviations. To me, they sound silly. How ridiculous would it be to be talking to someone on the phone and say LOL LOL instead of just laughing. Or saying to someone in person, FWIW, instead of just saying For What It's Worth. IMO, using Q-Signals on phone amounts to the same thing.

Now that doesn't mean I pull my hair out or refuse to talk to the guy. But, I still see no point in it.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

How ridiculous would it be to be talking to someone on the phone and say LOL LOL instead of just laughing.

I hear the granddaughters talking to other kids face to face and using many of their abbreviations. Its just that amateur radio is many years ahead of the new technology  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: