Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Link reviews seem overly critical  (Read 10736 times)
NS6T

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »

In general, I find the ham community to be supportive and encouraging. The eham.net link ratings seem to be an exception. There are far more 1 ratings than I can really understand. For example, AE7Q is incredible resources that I find myself coming to over and over again, but it has six 1 ratings. The site has tons of features, and it does a good job making them accessible.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »

OK
Can't remember if I've ever read a link review.
Bob
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:11:32 AM »

I just looked it up, and it's rated nearly five full stars. Can it get much better than that?

Speaking strictly from a personal point of view.....

Maintaining a web site isn't for the faint of heart. If you're just doing it to keep your family and/or click happy, then the job isn't so bad. This said, if your intent is to get viewership, then that is a whole new ballgame! On average, I spend 20+ hours a week just keeping up with the e-mails my site generates. To keep its value up, the various articles have to be kept current, and that takes a lot of time too. As a result, I admire anyone who takes the time maintain their site.

As for the ratings, well they are what they are. No matter how perfect the included material maybe, there are always those who take exception. In my case, I have (at least) one self-proclaimed critic who always takes the opposite view, no matter the validity. It is just the way it is!

Take heart though, AE7Q's site does have a good repeat viewership, and one he should be proud of, no matter his distractors.

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »

The "link reviews" are a microcosm of the Internet, websites and human nature.  Even something useful, attractive, well-run, well-built, or well-organized will get some folks, for whatever reason, who will not be happy about it.  Often, it seems, the better something is, the more the detractors come out of the woodwork - sometimes just to be contradictory.

Many times, there's a grain of truth in a negative review, even if its negativity is in the minority. I always read the negatives first to see what's being complained about (is it always the same problem?).

Anyway, take them for what they are - free advice. Worth every penny spent on them!

Mike N2MG
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »

I agree with NS6T. I have looked up the link reviews for AE7Q.How on earth you can have so many 5 ratings alongside ratings of 1 sure beats me!!!What's at work here!!! Is it just inconsistency or sheer awkwardness on the part of people who it seems wouldn't agree with anything or anybody!!! So much for crediblity!!! Anyway AE7Q still gets a rating of 4.2 no thanks to these numbskulls!!!

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:14:17 PM by Frederick Michael McGavin » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »

If a call sign was to needed to do the review, there would be far lass trash posted. If I give a site a one or a five, I append my call to the rating. Futhermore, it is for rating the site, not the product.

Craig N4CQR
N0HR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:42 AM »

I have maintained my own ham radio links system with user reviews for several years now. I've witnessed this same phenomenon - although to a lesser degree than what I see for reviews on eHam.

I've wondered if this could be attributed to other webmasters trashing sites and being overly critical for the sake of actually making their site look better. That is, if someone trashes all sites in a category (except their own), then the average score drops - making their own look better. Seems like a lot of foolishness to me.

Of course, that's the hazard of any anonymous review system. 

Pat N0HR
www.n0hr.com
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »

I have maintained my own ham radio links system with user reviews for several years now. I've witnessed this same phenomenon - although to a lesser degree than what I see for reviews on eHam.

I've wondered if this could be attributed to other webmasters trashing sites and being overly critical for the sake of actually making their site look better. That is, if someone trashes all sites in a category (except their own), then the average score drops - making their own look better. Seems like a lot of foolishness to me.

Of course, that's the hazard of any anonymous review system.  

Pat N0HR
www.n0hr.com

Hi Pat,
I must say initially I had suspicions that trashing might be involved. If it's true it's a sad reflection on the way some people think. If those who maintain Ham radio links systems don't always receive our thanks the least they deserve is fair play!!! Thank you N0HR,K0BG,AE7Q and all the generous others including eHam who provide free on-line resources to Radio Amateurs!!! In the meantime, perhaps it would help if eHam made it compulsory for members to append their callsigns to link reviews!!!

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:28:29 PM by Frederick Michael McGavin » Logged

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
K1UQT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:35:18 AM »

Hi Pat,
I must say initially I had suspicions that trashing might be involved. If it's true it's a sad reflection on the way some people think. If those who maintain Ham radio links systems don't always receive our thanks the least they deserve is fair play!!! Thank you N0HR,K0BG,AE7Q and all the generous others including eHam who provide free on-line resources to Radio Amateurs!!! In the meantime, perhaps it would help if eHam made it compulsory for members to append their callsigns to link reviews!!!

Fred EI4GMB

Guys,

I am sorry to have to admit this, but there are two eHam users who hate everything. These two individuals rate every website a 1. I have no idea why, but there are some people you can't please no matter what you do. Best to ignore them and move on.

73 Lisa K1UQT
eHam.net Links Manager
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »

I could not agree more, Lisa. As I alluded to above, there are just some psychos out there who just have to disagree. I suspect it is a libido thing, but who really knows?

EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »

Hi Lisa,
Many thanks for your reply. If as e-ham Links manager you can in your generosity of spirit ignore these people and move on then I'm sure we all can. In the meantime, perhaps it would help if e-ham made it compulsory for members to append their callsigns to link reviews? Once again, thank you for your patience in all these things.

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:29:08 PM by Frederick Michael McGavin » Logged

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
W4DJD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »

The easy way to correct the link issues is to revamp the rating requirements. 

1. Auto call appending when the link is rated.
2. Allow the issuer the option to allow ratings or delete those that have no comments
3. Restrict calls that do nothing but rate links based on low ratings.  ie.. if they have rated more then 5 + links as 1 then they are tagged as spammers and are band from rating.
4. Have an actual rating system that requires a writeup of said site.

JMO

W4DJD
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »

I am sorry to have to admit this, but there are two eHam users who hate everything. These two individuals rate every website a 1. I have no idea why, but there are some people you can't please no matter what you do. Best to ignore them and move on.

Hahaha I'm actually kind of happy and relieved to hear that there were only two of them.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

If it's only two folks and we knew who they are, we could anonymously mail them "home enema kits". It might free up whatever had climbed up there and died.

The neighbor has a goat that gets into things and becomes quite ornery for several days. You do not want to go walking the fence around where he is (besides definitely not wanting to be downwind of the smell of angry, wet goat).

It's easier to just take it in stride. These are the same folks who probably end up yelling at park benches or have to buy new rigs as they knock them off the table when they hear something on the air that they do not like.

It is seldom that I can find a french phrase that fits so well, "C'est la vie".

With warmest regards to the normal eHam users and those who know they have a problem but they stay on their medicines,

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:58:42 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W4DJD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »

I think I just realized that the negative feedback's and such are converted CB'ers that have found a new niche.  They keep yacking but no one listens. Grin Breaker Breaker good buddy!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: