Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Skype for guys that Can't copy net  (Read 1987 times)
W0IH

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this.

We have a regular schedule with a bunch of guy for a round table (nothing formal) but depending on band conditions, some of the guys can't copy.

Is there an easy way to get them in the loop using the PC and Skype?
  My first thought is to just put a mic in front of the speaker (to broadcast into Skype) and let them listen in.
  But is there a better way?

Mike
  W0IH
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:41:19 AM »

Yes, make the round table directly over the 'net, because that would eliminate the problematic part, that is, the *radio* part.
KF6HCD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this.

We have a regular schedule with a bunch of guy for a round table (nothing formal) but depending on band conditions, some of the guys can't copy.

Is there an easy way to get them in the loop using the PC and Skype?
  My first thought is to just put a mic in front of the speaker (to broadcast into Skype) and let them listen in.
  But is there a better way?

Mike
  W0IH
AFAIK, Skype has no provisions for the need you are describing.

Look at EchoLink... Conferences are allowed on EchoLink. You would have to facilitate that by buying the hardware and integrating it into your station, but the hardware is not very expensive.

On their end, they would merely log in and operate. You are the sysop.

All info here: http://echolink.org/

Hope this helps.
KF6HCD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

Yes, make the round table directly over the 'net, because that would eliminate the problematic part, that is, the *radio* part.
Michael is only trying to utilize different "channels" of communication, and is asking for input.

Do you have a helpful reply?
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »

I'm a little tired of nets or roundtables or whatever you call them these days operating semi-duplex over the air (semi-duplex on radio: the other party is NOT really hearing anything in the radio).  It's not that I was very attracted to nets anyway.

I really can't understand the point of "completing" the net by other media... This is about _radio_, not _communication_ isn't it? Because if the point is communication, then IRC or video conference over TCP/IP is way more reliable, cheaper and easier.
And Skype has a conference mode, as most other phone services ;-)

73 de Fer

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »

Get the other guys on skype and test the audio feed and internet connections.  If everything seems to work, then run with it.  It will make the net more enjoyable for those having difficulty receiving.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »

I have to agree with LU2DFM.  Those who can't hear would do well to maybe up-grade their antennas, or whatever else would make the required difference to be able to hear the net.  An alternative would be for the net to adapt to those who can't hear it, not too likely, right?  Or maybe those who can't hear should find another net?  'Skype', 'hype', and 'tripe' have more in common than rhyming.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: