Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROS Users: Beware!  (Read 13717 times)
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »

Until today I did not know anything about ROS. I discovered it on a ham reflector and the post made me very curious.
First I found the ROS website expecting to find some information but the main page is kin of devoid o any introduction. I clicked on the FAQ link and was greeted by a popup "Apply for a green card, blablabla...". Not for me.
I finally found some information somewhere else: open software  Grin, Mr. Ross a very nice person  Grin ...

A lot of controversy around this software!

So here is the post which started it all:

Doing a "sniff" on my computer tells me that the ROS software is trying to
log on to telnet dx clusters using the operator calsign in ROS configuration
menu, and trying a range of local ports.
When sucsessfull login, it captures callsigns in the software and posts the
as spots in the clusters as if the operator was doing it. Adding comments
like: tnx fer ROS QSO , tu ROS Mode...

I had no other software running at the same time that could make this
connections, and absolutly NOT without my knowledge.

This is being done without the awareness of the HAM operator, there is no
option or anything in the software that says it is doing this in the
background. It may also be illegal.
If the intention is not to let the operator know that he/she is connected
and also posting fake spots (in this case it's fake when the comment is
saying tnx for a QSO that did not take place)then it's very sad and
dissapointing...

What else is done without your knowledge? Passwords? Bank Accounts? Credit Cards?

ROS? Not for me. What about you?

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »

The controversy surrounding the ROS mode is very strange. Why did the author of the software do the things which have recently been discovered, what would be the purpose behind such activity ?  I cannot recall that there has been such a scandal in the ham radio world as this since the fiasco of the round the world American radio amateur, who was believed to have sailed to distant islands, sent QSL cards, but had been nowhere near them !

G0GQK
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:17:56 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up...I kept seeing the ROS stuff on the cluster and wondering what it was about.
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »

El Tio La Vara (Uncle Stick)

Using Google and getting only Spanish references here what I found:
On RTVE (Spanish Radio & TV) there is a show "The Jose Motta Hour" in which there is an episode of "Tio El Vara", 26 so far.
A google translation, not very good but enough to get the idea of who is "El Tio La Vara":
"Uncle Rod is a superhero of new generation aimed at ending the nonsense created by humanity in all these years. His real name is Eladio Guardiola, a countryman of Alcafrán , usually so quiet that usually does not upset with anything. Even when D. Marcial hood, the ferret him bad milk (not zoophilic ). But every man has a limit. Oh and alter it. Currencies do not understand or anything outside their household chores, but if you provoke ... The stupid, the pranks and pijadas provoke the animal. Provoke the beast. When harvest is needed, when needed sense and when you need a good leñazo dao, it's Uncle Rod."

It looks like Mr. Ros is ready to combat all the stupidity which fell upon this word!
The funny thing is:
His post came after an unsuccessful post of mine (censored) and signed Zorro.
Not only is Mr. Ros a megalomaniac but he does not have much imagination.
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

"Not only is Mr. Ros a megalomaniac but he does not have much imagination."

Are you saying that he is an ARRL executive, or is this behavior on his part just a coincidence?

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »

ROS is the first digital mode virus and spam generator. Avoid it like the plague.

Dave, AA6YQ
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »

ROS is the first digital mode virus and spam generator. Avoid it like the plague.

Dave, AA6YQ

Really?

You do realize, it's open-source, right?  And,being such, would make it very difficult to be a spam or virus generator.
KU1T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »

Hm.. if it is open source, then where I can download it ?

ROS (Robot operating system) is a open source.

ROS as digital mode software for hams is not open source..

vy 73
de ku1t
_zjt
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »

Really?

You do realize, it's open-source, right?  And,being such, would make it very difficult to be a spam or virus generator.

You've been misinformed. ROS is absolutely not open source.

Dave, AA6YQ
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

You do realize, it's open-source, right?  And,being such, would make it very difficult to be a spam or virus generator.
As others have pointed out, it is not open source.  And even if it WAS open source, if it is opening ports on your computer then it is at the very least inviting in spam and viruses, even if it is not actually generating them itself.

Based on what I have read, and after having done some further research, there is NO WAY I am going to put the ROS software on any computer of mine.  So, while I quite enjoy digital modes, ROS is one that I will NEVER USE!
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:38:42 AM »

ROS is moribund.

It's spread spectrum and therefor only permitted on bands above 222mhz.
ARRL and FCC ruled on this months ago.

Also since source is not available it's not easily ported to different OSs.

Allison
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:31:01 PM »

ROS is moribund.

It's spread spectrum and therefor only permitted on bands above 222mhz.
ARRL and FCC ruled on this months ago.

Also since source is not available it's not easily ported to different OSs.

Allison

PMFJI --

I'm not expert in interpreting the FCC rules.

ROS _claims_ that it's "spread spectrum", or that it uses spread-spectrum techniques.  But a ROS signal is entirely contained within a standard voice SSB bandwidth, around 2.4 kHz wide.  It never re-tunes the transceiver, and it doesn't use _much_ more bandwidth than it needs, given its data rate.

I think that if ROS is "spread spectrum", according to the FCC rules, so is MT63-2000.   I suspect the FCC made a technical error in banning ROS, and that it should be a permitted mode, alongside other SSB-bandwidth modes like PACTOR-III and MT63-2000.  [Both those modes are faster than ROS; I don't know how they compare in weak-signal situations.]

I'm not going to experiment with it, either.

Charles

PS
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »

The controversy surrounding the ROS mode is very strange. Why did the author of the software do the things which have recently been discovered, what would be the purpose behind such activity ?  I cannot recall that there has been such a scandal in the ham radio world as this since the fiasco of the round the world American radio amateur, who was believed to have sailed to distant islands, sent QSL cards, but had been nowhere near them !

G0GQK

That would have either been Don Miller or Romeo...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:51:26 PM by Rick Ruhl » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: