Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SIMPLE logging software  (Read 5819 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »

I dunno if that makes me old or young....

73 de Jim, N2EY

I'd say you are still young.  I talk with many hams who have had their ticket for 50 years.  It seems many got their novice ticket at about 12 or 13.  I was the one who was late to the party.  I got my ticket at 28, but I got my General first, and then my Extra, in a span of 2 months. I also work primarily CW and I think CW operators maybe older than phone operators although I don't have any data to back it up.

I do have data on ARRL logbooks, though.  The current price is $7.95 and my last log had 45 pages.  I think that is expensive for paper.

73 from NU1O,  Chris

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »

I still maintain a logbook even though the FCC no longer requires time.  It has gone from "old school." or  "old habits" to a matter of pride.  The log is great for thwarting imagined RFI complaints when I prove that I wasn't on the air at the time of the complaint!
K8AXW

I don't see how a paper log would convince a neighbor anymore than a computer log.  Plus, you could print out the log on a piece of a paper if you really think paper offers more proof.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »

I dunno if that makes me old or young....

73 de Jim, N2EY

I'd say you are still young.  I talk with many hams who have had their ticket for 50 years. 

I'm at 44 years, 3 months and some days. Less than 6 years to 50!

It seems many got their novice ticket at about 12 or 13. 

I was 13, but I have an excuse. Nobody in my family was a ham, nor were any of my neighbors. So it took a while to get started.

I was the one who was late to the party.  I got my ticket at 28, but I got my General first, and then my Extra, in a span of 2 months.

That's great! In the old days, there was a 2 year General or Advanced experience requirement before a ham could even try the Extra. Didn't matter if you had a First 'Phone and a Ph.D. in EE, you needed those two years.

I also work primarily CW and I think CW operators maybe older than phone operators although I don't have any data to back it up.

My experience has been somewhat different. For example, some years back I had a nice 25+ wpmQSO on the low end of 40 with another Extra. Great fist and really good op - who turned out to be ten years old. And an Extra for two years already.

Every Field Day for the past several years I've helped out at the CW station of our local group. And every year the youngest folks are the most interested.

I do have data on ARRL logbooks, though.  The current price is $7.95 and my last log had 45 pages.  I think that is expensive for paper.

It's not just paper; it's a bound book. But yes that's a lot. I remember when they were 50 cents - 1967.

What does a similar book sell for at Staples or Office Depot?

I suspect that ARRL doesn't sell many logbooks any more. Between the removal of logging requirements, computers, and the ease of copying and printing, there's probably not much of a market for them.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

I'm now 75 years old and have been a ham for 54 years.  I think this takes me from a 1 in 6 to some other level. 

My back-of-the-envelope calculations would put you at about 1 in 10. Meaning 9 out of 10 US hams today have been licensed for less time.

The bottom line on all of this is:

I maintain a paper log and have done so for all of my ham career.  I still have ALL of my logs.

Me too. Still readable after all these years.

And that's a big issue. Paper degrades gracefully; most digital media doesn't. Digital media also needs a reader that works. How many of us could read a 5-1/4 inch floppy? (Yes, I can, but I have to drag out an old computer to do it)

I prefer the ARRL logbook, no matter what they cost because I really don't use that many.

I like the ARRL format but use their log sheets. Less expensive and more flexible.

Cost is an issue, though. If someone operates a lot, they can burn through an $8 logbook pretty fast.

I still maintain a logbook even though the FCC no longer requires time.  It has gone from "old school." or  "old habits" to a matter of pride.  The log is great for thwarting imagined RFI complaints when I prove that I wasn't on the air at the time of the complaint!

Similar thoughts here. One big factor was and is that I don't *need* a computer in the shack. I have one, but unless it's a conmtest I leave it off.

Contesting is the one case where computer logging majes a big difference - if you're making a serious effort.

I think FCC made a mistake when they dropped the logging requirements.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

NU1O:

Good point... paper .vs computer.  Reflecting is now realize my RFI complaints were BC (Before Computers)  LOL.  I had been my experience though, that a neat and well kept paper log book is impressive when you're trying to make a point. 

I've read examples of FCC field inspectors following up on complaints being impressed by a neat and well kept log book. 

I suppose more than anything it shows attention to detail and maybe pride. 

In this day and age, no doubt the newer generations would be impressed with a computer log as well. 

When I did use a computer log (prior to the Y2K thingy) it caused me to become paranoid about making backups of my data.  I never was able to convince myself I enough copies!

K8AXW
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »

I am not sure if you do much digital work, but most of the digital modes programs have a built in log book facility.
You could use it stand alone if you wish, just for logging.
Ham radio deluxe for example supports this mode.
Like others have already suggested, export your log file frequently in ADIF format and then you can import it into
just about any logging program.
I have exported and then imported my logbook between HAM RADIO DELUXE, FLdigi, Multipsk and Mixw without
problems.
ADIF format is also human friendly in that it can be read with a normal text editor and you can see what the fields
represent.
In fact if you rename it from an ADIF to .txt file it will still be able to be imported into most of these digital modes
logbooks as well.
I would stay away from loggers which export only in binary or proprietory formats, but I would imagine all loggers
would export ADIF these days. To get your log into a new logbook program it is simply the IMPORT function.

Most loggers also allow searches on callsign or other criteria and display ordering on date/alphabetic listing and so on.
Finally, and most important backup your exported ADIF file to some external media (preferable two separate media).
A friend of mine spent a year typing in 40,000 log entries after a system crash, fortunately he is retired and has
infinite patience.

There are so many good free programs for logging, I am sure you can find something which suits your operating style.

73s
WA2HIP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »

Hi All,

A ways back I decided to put my logs into spreadsheets - 1 for each Year-Month set.

O have augmented this with VBScripts to process, organize, generate reports add additional data (latitude and longitude for states and provinces), heading and distance. eQSL, Paper QSO & LOTW send & receive information and more.
  It can export the data in ADIF format - either short (minimal information) or extended (much additional information.

It uses INI files for configuration and there can be multiple INI files for various collection and reporting scenarios.

Anyone can download and use it FREE at:
    http://wa2hip.com/jrpetro/WA2HIP_Log_System.shtml
http://wa2hip.com/jrpetro/WA2HIP_Log_System.shtml

It is work in progress and as always, comments, suggestions and critique is always welcome.

John - WA2HIP
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: