Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20M opened to Pacific !!!!  (Read 1930 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »

Sunday 03:12 UTC

Just bagged Hawaii from New Jersey. New Zealand also coming thru. It's about damn time!

Sorry for me excitement!
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »

Congrats. But you have nothing to be sorry about.

When the excitement of chasing dx, where ever it is, is no longer there, I'll turn the radio off.

73, Tom

K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:35:58 AM »

There were some really good 20 meter openings on Saturday during the IARU contest. But what excited me the most was 10 meters. It's not that there were that many foreign stations present, it's that lots of US stations were present with extremely loud signals. Signals that made me jump for the volume control. It's been years since I've heard that much signal strength from so many stations. Grin
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »

K2MK,

I am not getiing 20M til after greyline into the midnight hours. Especially for Europe, and the Pacific last night. It's been pretty bad. The problem with Europe at night is that it is early in the morning. So there are few and fart apart. BTW, them Russians stay up really late!
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »

I'm a bit of a newcomer, but 20 meters is showing signs of life. I heard Australia VK3MO at 5:11 UTC (last night to me) on the JO32KF remote receiver in the Netherlands (i forgot who he was QSL'ing),  and a California ham had great signal into Europe as well around then. China hams were heard twice on the same receiver today.

That's some healthy distances.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »

K2MK,

I am not getiing 20M til after greyline into the midnight hours. Especially for Europe, and the Pacific last night. It's been pretty bad. The problem with Europe at night is that it is early in the morning. So there are few and fart apart. BTW, them Russians stay up really late!

Maybe, but not necessarily.   Russia covers 14 time zones.  Look at a world time zone map. Cheesy
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

Its always exciting when a band opens.  Down under is trans equator, just like ZS.

You might be confusing gray line propagation with conditions after sunset, sunrise?

It might not be well known now, but long path, opens after sunrise.  From 1 land, long path would open over Africa into VK around sunset. 

One time, I talked with a ham in KH6 land long path.

Better openings are coming!  20 meters open 24 hours.

Bob

VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »

I'm a bit of a newcomer, but 20 meters is showing signs of life. I heard Australia VK3MO at 5:11 UTC (last night to me) on the JO32KF remote receiver in the Netherlands (i forgot who he was QSL'ing),  and a California ham had great signal into Europe as well around then. China hams were heard twice on the same receiver today.

That's some healthy distances.

You'll always hear VK3MO no matter what the conditions. look him up and have a look at the antenna set up.

As for the Northern part of VK6. it seems that there is nothing but a hell of alot of noise. about s5. the only thing i can hear are the near by plasma screen tv's. i hope the bands show some love to us down under.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:25:12 AM »

That's nothing. In the contest, around 0600z, there was a nice trans-pacific opening on 15m. A KH6, a VK7 and two ZLs were blasting in loudly, but there were no other signals on the band.

Even with the SFI hovering around the 65 level last year, it was relatively-easy to work VKs (east-coast NA to east-coast Australia) on 20m around 2000z to 2200z via long-path.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »

Got some time off of work this week, and I am taking full advantage, staying up later than I normally do to cash in on the propagation. During the test, I was hearing both EU and Hawaii at the same time, and bagged those.  Then the last two nights, worked OX8XX, then out to our old friend ZL1BD, then a bunch of Russian stations.  Last night, more of the same.  Eastern EU, then E51CG, Victor, who we had not worked in a while.  Awesome stuff. I wish I could hear the pacific rim in the AM like I do the pacific in the late night hours.  Things are on the upswing. I can feel it...... Grin Cheesy Wink Roll Eyes....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:09:08 AM by Vince Ponzio » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »

Yes the bands are picking up lately. The low bands are even good for the summer time. I've been working Asia and Europe from Utah on 40 meters. 80 meters is still noisy with Japan only an occasional thing but come winter working Asia and Europe will become an everynight thing.

During the IARU contest last weekend 20 meters was open to Europe to midnight local time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:44:14 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: