Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti Spam and Virus  (Read 1425 times)
WA9YSD

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »

Besides Norton, and McAfee.  What other good anti virus anti Spam software is out there that will not slow down your computer?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »

AVG
K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:24:58 AM »

AVG. I feel Norton is a virus. Once installed the only way to get shed of it is fdisk.

73 Clyde
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »

hi,

anything you run on the computer will slow things down a bit,
depends on what it is doing and how much resources are being used.

Many virus also target Norton and other antivirus software
so that is why it is harder to remove or disable.

Norton has uninstall utility if you want to remove it from your system.  

Norton works well in my office environment and is the standard at the university I work at.

here is a nice utility that will help you locate all the stuff that is started
automatic when the windows os starts up.  
great way to remove the stuff that is really slowing down the pc.  
Microsoft liked the utility so much they purchased the author Sysinternals.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

73 james
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »

I'll also endorse AVG anti-virus; it doesn't impose nearly the system hit that Norton, McAfee, etc. do.

For free anti-spyware, use both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware; if one misses something, the other should catch it. For a paid anti-spyware, Webroot Software's Spy Sweeper is excellent.

Norton is bloatware; the uninstaller does not remove all traces, leaving various bits & pieces behind both in the registry and in the filesystem.

I've used all the above (including Norton and McAfee) and endorse AVG, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and Spysweeper; since switching to SuSE Linux, though, I've not had to concern myself with Windows-based security issues...
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »

hi,

I also like the Blink product from Eeye,
take a look at the trial version, good
for one year.

http://www.eeye.com/html/index.html

another performance hog is the
indexing feature in windows,
easy to turn it off.

73 james
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »

Clyde I feel the same way about Norton.  Thats why I do not run it any more.

MacAfee has always been a memory hog.

SpyBot S&D lost ground in its effectiveness.

Ad-Aware removed some needed Windows dll files and had to re-load windows.  The XYL points and click away at stuff on her computer and its gone!  Not use friendly for the un-friendly, if you know what I mean.

I had BeSafe on her computer, and worked for a while until she started to read some forum stuff for cake decorating then I had to disengage content filter so she could read it, then CPU just got sick from a virus.

Use to run Spy Sweeper from Web Root when I was with AT&T.  It was free then.  Stuff still got through and sent Ad-Aware, and Norton after the rest.  Still never cleaned it all out.  Had to wipe the drive and start over.

Besafe, MacAfee and Spybot could not remove it.  Norton did.  Removed Norton again.  Darn program.  Seams the best way is to stay away from the popular stuff and throw every thing you can get a hold of, at it.

I will look into AVG and Blink.  Thanks for the input.

Keep The Faith, Jim WA9YSD/K9TF
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

Oh, almost for got, what version of AVG should I use?  The Free or the 60 buck trial version?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »

hi jim,

I think you will like Blink product,
it is very, very effective.

takes a bit to get it setup to your system,
once it is setup you are locked down from intrusion.

Nice thing about Blink, no need to wait for patches
from microsoft to stay protected, Blink protects your
system from day one.

Understand about click and infecting, my dad (77 yr old)
trusted some website because it read Internet Explorer on the top line !  
Glad I setup remote access on his pc.

Many times you must startup in safe mode and then run the scans to
remove a problem virus or ad/spam infection.

always a good idea to make a backup of your
registry file before new software installs.

73 james

AD5TQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »

You are asking about Spam Filtering, Virus Protection and not slowing your computer down. Any active protection must slow your computer down somewhat.

Spam Filtering - Forget your ISP and local filtering programs. Use an online email service such as Gmail or MS Hotmail Live. Once set up and you have identified spam to train the server, they do a great job. They also offer other benefits vs email programs that download email to your machine.

Anti Virus - AVG Free is the best anti virus program. The paid versions have more administrative features but use the same virus database. Performance impact is minimal and it also protects against some internet trojans.

Adware Spyware - This is the big problem area. First, use the Firefox web browser. Use MS Internet Explorer only for web sites that use Active X. Active X is the path a lot of spyware uses to get into your computer.

A lot of the programs mentioned are cleaner/scanners but provide no active protection. The best free combination we found is MS Defender and Threatfire.

This combination takes longer to boot as it scans everything but is not that bad after started up.

Bottom Line - If you browse the internet a lot, you will get infected if using MS Windows so have backups of all your data etc. If you have to reformat to reinstall windows, do the long (not the quick/short) format to fully remove all traces of malware. We use an imaging program to copy a clean installation and just burn it back on the hard drive when windows gets all out of whack.

Tip - Try a live boot version of Linux such as Ubuntu for internet browsing.

AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »

AVG Free from Grysoft. You'll have to really dig around their site to find the free version but it's there and works fine. No need to buy their commercial version if it's just for home use.

Avast is also well regarded and is also completely free.

For spam control in programs like Outlook Express, etc, try SpamFighter. It is free.

For spyware, I use Spybot S&D, also Ad Aware SE Personal, and SpywareBlaster. All are free, and they each protect/detect in different ways, so one will find things the others don't and vice versa.

You do NOT need a total system hog package like Norton or McAfee, folks.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »

hi David,

depends what you do on the internet,
just a shack pc then yes you can get by with the
freebie software out there.

one click on a link is all it takes to get your
pc infected with virus or spy ware.

Unless you can accept the risk(s) and have the time
and talent to restore the computer to as is state,
then a commercial antivirus package is one solution.

73 james

You do NOT need a total system hog package like Norton or McAfee, folks.
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

Thanks every one.  AVG cleaned the rest out.

These people who make up these viruses or like to put them on peoples computers needs a better hobby.
POOBA53

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »

I've used the free version of AVG Anti-Virus and the paid AVG Anti-Malware product. For the money Anti-Malware has kept my machines cleaner than the free version for next to nothing.

Norton is a bloated, evil product. They used to be great.

I mostly run Linux, thank goodness ;-)
W0XE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »

Norton is near impossible to get rid of.  Search internet for a file that will finally get it ALL off your computer.  That does work.

Than use Microsoft Defender free unlimited program from Micresoft site and Avast antivirus. Both are free and unlimited.  Neither are memory hogs.  Avast automatically updates frequently and lets you know.

I won't leave home without them.  Simply they are the best and they work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don, wd0bwm
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: