Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Logging Program  (Read 2013 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »

I have a new contest logging program. It is completely open source and written in BASIC (Just BASIC) I'm placing it under the GNU GPL. (GNU'S NOT UNIX GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE) sorry, I love undoing acronyms. Anyway, I have setup a group on yahoo for it! for anyone who wishes to help me build it, I plan to focus on three core values or focuses simplicity, speed and usability. Anyone wishing to help me develope my program (which is in Beta 3 of 10 right now) so there are some major bugs in it.

Basically I need suggestions, developers, and other testers. The group can be found at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smashindex

BTW: the program is called SmashIndex, I do own the domain SmashIndex.com, but was using it as an online podcast station before I decided to relate to software I've written.
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »

I highly suggest starting out with a language other than BASIC,

Specifically Python, Ruby, or another modern "dynamic" language.

You will have a hell of a lot easier time using even something as simple as a database, not to mention handling things such as network connections to other entities (if it ever comes to that).

I would love to help you learn Python if you have never encountered it.

Joe

KC8LTL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »

I like what you say about simplicity, speed, and usability.  The thing is that these terms mean different things to different people.  I for one will need to see quite a bit of an advantage to go from a text based interface like the TR I use to something GUI based.  In the heat of the battle, I just want to type in the minimal information and not worry about making sure it goes in the right box or something.

But after using TR on an old Win 95 machine for the IARU contest this last weekend, I was thinking we really need something better and up to date.  Those old DOS contest programs were a marvel of effeciency - doing so much more than they had a right to do.  But they are now hopelessly out of date.  I still use TR because it works on the ancient computer in the shack and because it is what I know.

We need something that works with modern networks and computer databases.  AE5NE suggested a modern scripting language.  In what I was thinking about before this, I was thinking that it sounded like what I hear Jave EE should be good for.

But personally I don't think we need another one done in Basic.  We already have SD in a text mode Basic and N3FJP in (old) Visual Basic.  Make sure that either this is going to be fun enough to handle for a while and that what you offer is some nitch that is not there already.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »

QSL and thanks, this is noted, my only problem is, I've looked an looked and without going too far off the deep end and learning the most complex of computer languages I've seen, which seem like it would take weeks just to learn how to write a simple program, I can't find any other languages that have a compiler, debugger, gui designer, and community support built right into the program and also run on linux, other than BASIC.

Also, there is no GUI! It's command-line based. All the loggers I've ever seen have had GUIs which drove me nuts! That's part of why I designed this one. That's also why I've made it open source, that way I can see what drives other people nuts and then try to make it better for all of us.

And Liberty/JustBASIC has added a lot of features that traditional BASIC doesn't have. Database and network access are included, I have been wanting to learn Python, but unless they can develope a program that allows you to execute as you're typing it out, I don't want to try it, I like finding my mistakes as I write my programs, not after where I have to go in and make correction after correction.
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »

You will love Python's simplicity and power.  It's far more widely used than LibertyBASIC, costs nothing, and best of all it's free to use, copy, examine, modify, improve, and redistribute.  

You can definitely hand-type python at the interactive prompt and have it execute immediately in a command-line window.  I often keep a python window open for short programs.  It sounds like you want a fully-featured interactive shell, which would be the IPython shell

(screenshots http://ipython.scipy.org/screenshots)

It is simple. the syntax makes sense.  Things you expect to work, work.  Common operations are natural.  Powerful structures are present.  It's well-used and mature.  It was the first language that I could type a fairly long program and it worked the first time.

I just wrote a CLI logger that logs to a dabase and prints a report, in about 60 lines of python:  http://pastebin.com/aU5gs0d0

Example of usage is at http://pastebin.com/CTrkfeVW

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:15:16 PM by Joe K » Logged
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »

Thanks, this would definitely go cross platform. That would help a lot for people wanting to use linux, and mac. Anyway, I guess I'm ok to learn another programming language.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: