Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What criteria is used to "expire" articles?  (Read 1745 times)
KZ5Q

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »

Just curious...I notice a lot of articles that are fairly recent (and given how slowly ham radio can move at times, 6 months is "fairly recent") but are now locked for comment.  I have been on this site in several years, and don't recall articles "expiring"...

So what is the criteria and rationale behind article "expiration"?

(I ask this question as part of my ongoing decision process to subscribe to eham.net...)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »

I have nothing to do with eham.net per sé, so I speak for myself. When I write an article, I check back on the posts until it disappears from the first page of the article listings. By that time, any additional posts are all but moot.

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »

The articles manager is the one that handles the rate at which articles are approved and how fast they cycle off of the front page.   I always think that we cycle through them a bit too fast so I am usually requesting that the articles slow down a bit. 

As far as comments being closed on 'archived' articles - this was a change we made in the code a few years ago as a way to control some out of control posting to old articles.  It was the easy way for us to patch a problem in our old code that handles the comments.  We are currently working on improvements to other parts of the web site and it is my hope that we will come up with better ways to handle those issues - maybe we will use the same system that we use for the forums.

One thought I have had recently is to just do away with comments directly after the articles.  Maybe we could start a forum that is just for articles and that would be the home for the discussion of the articles but
it would not be 'inline' right after the articles.

Still unsure on how to redo that part of the site.

Thanks

George
K5TR
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »

George pretty much said it all; once an article goes off of the homepage it is achieved, and no more posts can be added to it. But as Alan noted, by the time that happens most of the quality comments have already been posted.

I have also slowed down the flow of articles recently, to increase how long an article stays visible on our homepage, and in the quest of just using higher quality articles. The daily news article flow will not change however, as news is time-sensitive.

Any other questions, comments or suggestions are very welcome!

Tnx & 73
Clinton, AB7RG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: