About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLOCKS  (Read 5181 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »

What kinds of clocks do you use in the shack? 

Here's one that's customizable, including color, local/GMT display, etc.  Might not be as useful to some as to others, but that's the point.  http://www.glasswings.com.au/giggle/clock/

Any other favorites?

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

This is what I use:

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.130596151.jpg

(mine isn't quite that nice but it does the job).

Simple, reliable, classic. I made mine for almost nothing from parts of several junkers.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »

Jim - I remember seeing a "digital" clock just about like this one on an episode of Star Trek (original series).  Wow!  State of the ark!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:09:14 AM »

Jim - I remember seeing a "digital" clock just about like this one on an episode of Star Trek (original series). 

I remember that episode - but IIRC they had a 12 hour one, and mine is 24 hour.

The clock design is from the 1950s at least.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »

What kinds of clocks do you use in the shack?

I use the Casio "Wave-Ceptor" radio watch on my writst.  This model (one of several in that series) has a push-button to select all the time zones, includes a small abbreviation in text of the zone, will automatically synchronize to WWVB after midnight.  Plus, when I leave "the shack" (one corner of our home office) it comes right along with me.   Grin

Terribly expensive.  Cost less than $30 new from Amazon, including shipping.  (the recyclable box and packing material went into the dumpster, not the other way around)

There's another radio clock in the home office on one of the bookshelves, a large LCD type positioned so that my wife can read it easily while at her computer.

I rather like DIRECT traceability on time every 24 hours direct to NIST at Fort Collins, CO.  Automatic.  No need to depend on the AC power to be exactly 60 Hz or even on.  Yes, the 60 Hz AC power line frequency is also checked against NIST but indirectly.  Power people check their 60 Hz PHASE with the local power network but don't guarantee a specific frequency that is "good" metrologically. 

Strong 60 KHz signal here every midnight over 900 statute miles from Ft. Collins, even through about three miles of solid (lots of granite) earth in the direct path.

We have a smaller radio clock for general purpose use, about 15 years old, has traveled with us to the midwest twice plus another one that was designed for traveling and picked up for about $12 (including tax) at a CVS drugstore last year.  All of them keep time within a second of each other.

73, Len K6LHA
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »

Two six inch Chelsea ships' radio rooms, one set to local time and the other clock set to GMT.

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »

hi

on the pc I use Foxclocks

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1117/

73 james
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »

Why is there no clock in any of the new fancy rigs or even the others? My iPod has a clock. Shocked
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »

Why is there no clock in any of the new fancy rigs or even the others? My iPod has a clock. Shocked

My Elecraft K2 has a real-time clock. It's part of the audio filter option. According to Elecraft, the K3 has a clock/calendar built in, with alarm/auto-turn-on feature too.

The Kenwood TS-940S has a clock too. Also turn-on-off feature. It can cause some amusement because if you set it right, the rig won't turn on until the appointed time. (No, I didn't learn that the hard way).

I like the Numechron mechanical-digital clock best, though. No RFI, simple, reliable, classic. Newer isn't always better.

I hope to find a ship's radio-room clock (with silent periods) someday. Got a space on the shack wall reserved.

73 de Jim, N2EY

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:45:31 AM by James Miccolis » Logged
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »

"I hope to find a ship's radio-room clock (with silent periods) someday."

Me, too. Jim, you can get extremely cheap reproductions on eBay that keep good time (and don't need to be wound), I have one. I have a feeling that you will hold out for the real thing, however. I don't blame you.

73 Geoff
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

Can you put out 100W of RF on HF with your iPod?  Grin
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »

Can you put out 100W of RF on HF with your iPod?  Grin

Can you put out 100 W of RF from a transmitter you can hold at arms length in one hand?    Cheesy

K6LHA
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »

Yes, many 100 watt rigs can be held at arms length. The FT-857 is one.
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »

My HVAC thermostat has a clock. Even my watch has a clock. Why not put one in a radio? It seems like a simple idea. My guess is that it is too simple an idea to be put to use in ham radio. Who uses a clock anyway? Roll Eyes
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »

My TS-940S has a clock that when set it keeps accurate time. It isn't GPS or WWV based but rather manually set. Keep in mind the rig is over 20 years old too.

Alot of hams use more than one clock in the shack. I have several clocks that keep the correct time for various time zones around the world, namely ZULU, local, and a few specific timezones.

I also have NIST time server access via the internet to keep the shack PC in sync for my logging, etc.

Truth is most operators probably would not use a clock in the radio but rather one on the wall. It would be nice to have one in the mobile however.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: