About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLOCKS  (Read 5191 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »

many 100 watt rigs can be held at arms length. The FT-857 is one.

This year on Field Day we used an FT-897 in the CW-only station. We made several hundred QSOs with it. The mixed-CW/SSB station used an FT-100D, which is even smaller.

The Elecraft K2/100 and K3/100 can be held at arm's length too. Both have (or can have) built-in clocks.

I'm pretty sure all the FLEX SDR rigs have clocks as part of the display. Certainly the ones with a built-in PC do.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »

Here's another favorite.  Been around a while, but some might not have seen it:

http://yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KD4COX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »

My HVAC thermostat has a clock. Even my watch has a clock. Why not put one in a radio? It seems like a simple idea. My guess is that it is too simple an idea to be put to use in ham radio. Who uses a clock anyway? Roll Eyes
My hvac has a clock. It keeps pretty good time, except when the time changes to DST.

Well going forward is ok... but when it falls back to 1 am at 2 am in the morning... it keeps doing it.

so the time is always between 1 am and 2 am until I reset it.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »

For reliablity, I wear a Breitling with GMT hand.

If you want a ships clock with silent periods, google for them, I found at least a half-dozen of them for sale in various states of operation.

Plath and Weems [or Weems and Plath] makes some pretty cool clocks, but sadly, they are all 12 hour movements.

I would just dearly love a nice looking GMT clock with real hands.

What's the old joke:  A man with a watch always knows the time, a man with two is never quite sure.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »

All my Macs have an application (UTC Global Clock) that runs in the menu bar and shows Zulu (UTC) and Local in a 24-hour format. This is in addition to the standard 12-hour computer clock. My computers sync with a dedicated time server every 12 hours, so they stay accurate within 1 second a day. While analog wall clocks are attractive, I prefer the digital clocks on my computers for shack use.

On my wrist is another matter; I prefer analog. Seiko used to have a dual-display (analog face/digital window at the bottom that I wore for about 20 years until it finally died and could no longer be repaired. I kept the digital on Zulu and the face on Local. Unfortunately, Seiko discontinued it and the couple of others I have seen on the market are WAY more than what I am willing to pay for a watch. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:19:35 AM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:42 AM »

I would just dearly love a nice looking GMT clock with real hands.

http://www.franklinclock.com/images/M12UB.jpg

http://www.officeclocks.com/24_Hour_Clocks.html

Google shows a bunch of 24-hour clocks, all of which can be set to Zulu/UTC/GMT (whatever you want to call it).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:09:12 AM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

Modern radio clocks someone ask? ICOM 756 PROII,PROIII,7600,7700,7800 & I think the ICOM 7000 as well.  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
AKA:"ICOM SOUTH"

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

I have clocks but then so does my computer here in the station, and so does my cell phone which is always with me, etc.

Man with one clock knows what time it is.

Man with two clocks is never sure.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: