Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAV4 Antenna Mount on Rear door?  (Read 3948 times)
K4ED

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

Anyone successfully mounted an antenna mount on the rear door of a 2--7 or later RAv4?

Seems to me most "lip mounts" wouldn't be side enough to accommodate the thickness of the door lip, as the lip includes the outer glass.

So, looking for an "suv' pr hatch mount that can accommodate a lip that is almost 1/2" thick .. or, I'll willing to drill holes on the interior side of the door frame .. if i can find such a mount that would then allow me to move the actually antenna mounting point in multiple directions.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

The obvious solution would be to drill a hole in the roof, and use a real NMO mount; not one of the Pacific Rim knockoffs. Less damage, less fuss, and better performance.

The lift gates on SUVs, vans, wagons, crossovers, et. al. don't lend themselves to mounting antennas on. When you open and close them, you put stress on the mount, and the lift gate, not to mention the antenna as well. If you go to my web site, and look under Antenna Mounts, you'll see a photo of what happens to the sheet metal after a few closings.

K4ED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »

I need an SO-239 Mount.  I'm willing to drill holes, in fact, I already have an NMO mount nice and high in the middle of the roof, just as you describe.

So, let's get back on topic shall we?  What type of mount, that supplies an SO-239, can I mount to either the door itself, or, if that's a bad idea, to the metal frame the door fits in?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »

SO239 mounts leak! You're better off mounting another NMO, and using an adapter from NMO to SO239. A variety of suppliers carry them.

K4ED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »

Understood that if optimal performance was my goal, that the best performance would be obtained by placing second NMO roof mount on or near the center of the roof and using an NMO to SO-239 adaptor.  Indeed, the performance of the existing center roof, NMO mounted antenna is superb.  (And I have you Alan to thank for for it.)

For this second antenna, I am willing to compromise away from optimal performance.  So, back to the topic at hand: What Mounts have people successfully used to mount an antenna to either the door or in the door seam of a 2007+ RAV4?

Alternatively, what mounts can people recommend to mount an antenna to either the door or in the door seam of a 2007+ RAV4?

K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with as I just got a 2010 RAV4.

I have some trunk lip mounts on the hatchback of another car which work well but, so far, I haven't found a good place on the RAV4 where they'd work. The RAV4 is pretty curvy.

While I'm not opposed to an NMO in the roof, I have a sunroof and a luggage rack in the way. If I mount one anywhere up there, it's likely to be in a rear corner.

Another option that doesn't require a 3/4" hole in the paint, is a fender/trunk mount (such as http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_268_1038&products_id=3845) I was thinking of mounting one or two of these at the top of the rear door opening so they extend over the roof.

Or, if I'm in a hurry, I have a luggage rack rail mount (which is just one notch up from a mag mount).

I'm still pondering on this so I look forward to seeing what other ideas there are.

73!
--bob
K7RBW
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

I have a Lil Tarheel II on a 3/8x24 mount and a Comet 6M/2M/70cm on an SO-239 mount on the rear hatch of my 2003 Saturn VUE. 

http://www.kg4rul.info/VueBackFull.jpg
KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »

I use a Diamond K-412 on my '10 Ford Escape back hatch with no problems. Obviously, the RAV4 is a different vehicle and the hatch tolerances are different, but I have found the Diamond mounts to be solid. There are two keys to successful installation: tighten (and periodically check) all screws, and carefully route the coax.
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »

"I use a Diamond K-412 on my '10 Ford Escape back hatch with no problems."

ditto

carl - w9pmz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: