The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better antenna adapter for the SMA Baofeng and other handies?  (Read 975 times)
KA4LFP

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »

Hi all

I wanted to ask what better products/methods might be out there to adapt the Baofeng and other handies from their SMA connectors to BNC/So-239 for connection to better larger antennas
I've used and had bad luck with a variety of things like this, bought from Amazon as well as real ham shops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B3CWT8A/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

First, let me state that I DO NOT bend and treat these roughly, just to head off those accusations at the pass.

I've had several from different shops and none have lasted long, it seems that the inner conductor is solid wire and apparently tends to break, usually at the radio end, sometimes inside the heatshrink.

Short of clamping down the radio and the adapter coax at multiple points to such a degree that I lose all "quick and easy portability" and could more quickly add a full on mobile rig.

I have other amateur components of similar price range that have lasted for some years, so I don't think "spend more money" is a guarantee of quality.

These little rg-174 ?? (thin, anyway) adapters just don't seem to be very well made and resilient.

I don't want to use a direct metal adapter for fear of damaging the antenna mount.

Is there a different way or product I'm not thinking of to adapt from SMA to larger antennas?
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »

SMA connectors were never designed for constant stress or connecting and disconnecting

For that type of service you need a BNC

That's why I quit trying to use HTS on mobile antennas
after they stopped putting BNC connectors on em

When HTS had BNC connectors, I used them four many years and thousands of antenna change outs without issue

Your only choice is to use the sma to so239 cables that are on the market or mount a BNC adapter on the radio

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »

I've seen some adaptors that mount right on the radio and make
physical contact with the case to reduce stress on the connector,
and provide a BNC connector fairly solidly mounted to the radio.
I don't know a source, however, or whether they are available for
your specific radio.

Meanwhile, strain relief is an important part of using small cables -
you might try hooking it in the belt clip to reduce flexing at the
radio connector.

We use SMA cables at work: $200 for a 5' cable.  And we still have
to add a few layers of heat shrink with glue on each end to keep them
from bending too much at the connectors in order to get a reasonable
life out of them.
KK6QMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

Many people proclaim SMA was never designed for repeated use, etc etc. In years of using this connector over and over I have yet to have a single problem. Motorola MT2000s, Baofengs, etc. Diff adapters, drops, strain, leverage, repeated on/off cycles swapping antennas, experimenting, etc. I have yet to have a single failure or worn part. In fact- the only connector I have really had issue with personally are BNC being flaky. Just my exp.

This particular adapter has worked for 3 years on many diff radios- made well. Got mine in 2014 at an HRO shop.
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011738

Have fun.
Clifford
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: