Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need new drivers for my usb/serial adpter  (Read 1827 times)
KE4ILG

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:13:31 PM »

I did a search here and googled for an answer to my question to no avail.  I am using(trying to use) a Donner's digital interface with the usb/serial adapter they sell.  The adapter is made by TX Porwer RX and it is model DC-DB9-USB.  I changed to a new lap top that uses Windows 7 (64 bit) and the drivers included with the adapter do not work with Windows 7.  The google search turned up a couple of pay sites that say they can fix all driver problems.  I'm currently unwilling to give them my money.  I did send a request to the manufacture for a updated driver.  No answer yet but since there is no download section at their web site I have little hope. 

I expect to start looking for an adapter that is made to work with Windows 7 and just buy it.  I would like to get any information or reccomendations that can save me time and money.  Thanks to all 73, Mike ke4ilg
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »

Have you tried letting Windows search the disk for a driver? Its possible that Windows7 has native support for the chip set used in your adapter. Otherwise you'll have to contact Donner or the converter mfg for drivers or just purchase another converter.

This is a problem that comes up every time Microsoft comes out with a new OS. Printers, scanners, all sorts of external devices that require drivers quit working. Also why I never try to upgrade an old computer to a new OS. There you sometimes run into CD and other build-in hardware that has to be upgraded.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »

Yes the computer attempted to locate drivers but failed.  I just hit ebay looking and no joy there either.  So now I'm wondering if any of the digital interfaces are able to work with Windows 7.  Thank you for the suggestion, Mike ke4ilg.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »

I expect to start looking for an adapter that is made to work with Windows 7 and just buy it.  I would like to get any information or reccomendations that can save me time and money. 

Here's a list of devices known to work with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Win7VistaHardware

Dave, AA6YQ
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »

Dave, thank you for the list.  I will be able to find something the will work in it.  73, Mike ke4ilg.
K3PRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:45:16 AM »

I went through trying numerous serial drivers to get try and get two no-name USB to Serial (RS-232) converter cables to work. No luck and two days of frustration. A ham, Scott KN3A,  suggested I get:   http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=279.  Uses the FTDI chip FT232BL which seems to be the state of the art chip and tells you exactly which driver to use for all forms of Windows operating systems (Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000). Costs $24.25 with USPS shipping of $8.55. This converter with my Yaesu FT-817nd, Yaesu CT-62 data cable, connected to my Acer Notebook worked the first time! This USB to Serial (RS-232) converter may not work for all systems but this would be my first cable to try. Local computer or Big Box stores have adapters but do not mention chip used and of course, the sales help, just give you a "Blank look" when questioned.

Good Luck,

Don K3PRN
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »

I went with Don k3prn's suggestion.  The tech info states it will work with Windows 7(64 bit) so I am looking forward to the arrival of the new adapter.  Thanks to all who responded here and directly.  73, Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: