Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: very vague..new transceivers....  (Read 18646 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »

For what it is worth, I bought an ICOM 718.  Only problem was the bandpass filter is too broad.  Installed an aftermarked cw filter and problem solved.  I'm very happy with my 718.
Bob WD8LIC
   Ditto on that Icom 718.  It's a hell of a deal for only $600 bucks, and there are so many of them now in service, that the parts should be around for quite some time.
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

I will follow this necropost (a almost 1,5 year dig-up..)  after all, this subject is still interesting  Wink

IC-718 is a outdated but cute radio without any fuzz, it's inbetween stationary and portable, a dream to operate but lacks some functions that a base trx may or should have.
I sold mine and missed it for a while, until i bought a IC-7200, stupid me sold that too...and now i miss that radio too  Roll Eyes
I bought a FT-950 and like it a lot, although i still longing for a IC-7200, the ease of operation, the no-fuzz, the USB-interface, the ruggedness (to the looks..) i want my IC-7200 back!!

So...
the performance is similar between IC-7200 and FT-950, the old IC-718 is out of the leauge here.

If you can live with the small face of IC-7200 you will have a [insert hot place here] of a receiver and a dream rig for running CW all at a nice pricetag.

If you never go CW and already have interfaces to the computer and just want a big VFO-knob on a cool looking performer, the FT-950 is right for you, but the pricetag is a bit higher.

If i were to choose just one rig, right here, rigt now, for the rest of my life it would be the IC-7200, sorry Yaesu  Undecided

(Forgive me for my sometimes strange english, it's not my native language so..)
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »

I'll cast a vote fot the FT-950. I've had mine for over 3 years and I'm still pleased with it. Although far from top-of-the-line, it is an excellent value for the price, and user friendly as well.
                                                                              73, Greg
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »

Now, if I go back there 500 more times and bring the Caddy home piece by piece, I might be able to build a car around the radio... Cheesy

I think Johnny Cash had a song about that! Smiley

Wayne
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »

I am on the fence about the 950. Should I be worried that this rig has been out for almost 5 years? I am concerned the digital modes have changes alot since then and the 950 still has a 9 pin serial port. Very surprised that one feature was not updated or at least a cable/ interface throw in to compenstae for it.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

In my cars I have an ft857 and a moto 900, in the shack there is an Orion, Pegasus, ts2000, 746 pro, ft 990,  ft 847, and in the past I have used every thing from a swan, a drake, a couple of ft 101's , a Triton 4, a couple of corsair's, a delta or two and I forget what else. 

All that said, I use the Orion for HF and the ts 2000 for 2m/440/6m because it has vox. great for long conversations on the repeaters, and will also do ssb for contests.  I bought most of them used, and suggest if you can handle about 2 grand for a used Orion , possibly even one from tentec in their resale program, that you could be happy.  it is that good.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »

I am on the fence about the 950. Should I be worried that this rig has been out for almost 5 years? I am concerned the digital modes have changes alot since then and the 950 still has a 9 pin serial port. Very surprised that one feature was not updated or at least a cable/ interface throw in to compenstae for it.

You can buy a USB-->serial adapter with an FTDI chip for about $20.  It works fine in Windows 7 (and all earlier O/S).

The "digital modes" haven't changed at all.  New soundcard modes have been introduced, but any computer-to-rig interface that can handle PSK31 (or RTTY/AFSK) can handle any of the new modes as well.  [I might be corrected on this for AMTOR by somebody who knows better.]

There's not much difference in specs between the FT-950 and the IC-7200, I think.  Pay your money, take your choice.

Charles
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »

for general do them all, if including many time spending listen to shortwave AM broadcast, I will definitely pick one of  newer IF DSP radio , like FT-450D etc,   may be used FT-950, IC-7000  for between $1000 to $1200  those DSP radio seems to take away noise in AM mode pretty well.  since, AM mode is wide , it does not benefit having narrow 1st IF filter either, which are common in higher end rig.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

I know this question is vague and maybe no good answer.

It even seems dumb.

ok..everything around here is ancient..

Things like an ICOM 720A..Kenwood 440...Icom 726...(or is it 728 ?)

It seems back in these days a nominal priced transceiver was good. (?)

In my old age I think newer is not always better.

I look at old specs and they will be 'triple conversion'..even 'quadruple conversion' for the receiver.

NOW double is SUPER ? Does not matter anymore ?

I need a receiver that 'what you hear is what you get'.  --ya know..a signal on 2342 khz is actually a signal... Something on 7087 khz is actually there vs. some 'who knows what'.

Amateur Radio. Most transceivers also cover 'general coverage'. (?) Maybe an option for a 'narrow AM Filter' if you want to even listen to AM 530-1700 khz. Shortwave ?

My vague question :::::::::::::

If you were going to buy a modern era 2010 transceiver in low cost range your choice ? A good general coverage receiver is also desired.

Kenwood TS480 ?  TSB2000 ?

Icom IC-718  7000 ?  IC706MKIIG ?   IC7200 ?

Yaesu FT897D ?  FT450 ? FT857 ?  FT950 ?

Low price but usually the cheapest is not the best.

What would you go after ? $1000 range. Any have a specific problem with the receiver ? (outside of amateur radio bands ?)

Huh
I think .I agree.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: