Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY Station  (Read 2446 times)
WA3GGV

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:20:56 AM »

I am getting back into ham radio after 35 years and a lot has changed! I have begun to search and obtain the green boat anchors of my past station (28ASR) and now am researching what rig to purchase. My last station had the R4B line and a Swan 350.... both worked extremely well.... now I need to find something out there that can take the duty cycle of RTTY and have a pretty good receiver section in it. Any suggestions? Thanks and 73! Francis
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:44 AM »

Some of the Icoms (IC756PROI/IIII for example) are rated 100% duty cycle. Unless you just want the 28ASR for nostalgic reasons, you should look into using a computer sound card. Its a whole lot easier than it was back in the 28ASR days and it permits you to run modes other than RTTY. For example, these days you'll find a whole lot more activity on PSK31 than on RTTY except for contests.
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »

Ditto on the Icom radio. You will find that most modern rigs do RTTY just fine.
If you are just casually operating and running contests the duty cycle is not as critical as if you were running traffic.
I use the FT-950, AFSK. I run it at 20-50 watts and let the external amp do the heavy lifting.
WA3GGV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »

I probably will put my computer in the shack as well, but I love the sound and the operation of the 28's..... the ASR I just picked up needs a lot of work, so I am still on the prowl for another one...... started to find paper and tape along the way. Just got the A/C and heating duct into the space for the shack this week in the basement.... gotta be the basement with the boat anchors I plan on using, no stairs to climb into the basement, just use the dolly and down the side yard and into the shack. Now I am insulating and drywalling the space.... thanks guys for your rig inputs. If you happen to see any mechanical machines available let me know about them because I do some driving around and can pick them up.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »

I spend quite a bit of time on RTTY during the contests and the best radios I have used were the TS850S and currently the 756PRO. Both will run full power for hours on end and not break a sweat.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »

I fully agree that an Icom 756PRO series radio is a very good choice
(Which by the way has a built in RTTY decoder)  But using the computer with one of the free programs is the way to go. Totally silent!   Then just hook up your old ASR to the loop to hear (And smell) it in the background when you so desire. (AND you can shut it off and go back to fully silent when you wish too!)

I still have my old Kleinschmidt TT100 series machine, And maybe someday will do that with mine. Just to hear and smell it run in the background!    In the meantime, The computer program really works great......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: