Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO email address for contact on QRZ  (Read 3724 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »

Tonight I checked some older QSOs which I am awaiting receipt of cards from the DX.  There are 16 QSOs, all of which I feel have had time (6 months or longer) to return a card.

I decided to email each of them and find out of they got my card, etc. Well, GUESS WHAT??? EIGHT of the sixteen have NO email shown on QRZ.com. Now, that's pretty damned convienent, huh? Work a station, get GS or IRC from him and pocket the funds. I have no way, outside of a letter to find out what is going on with these jerks. Real damned convienent!

I guess from now on, I will check to see if they have email info on QRZ.com prior to sending my card and funds. No email address, i just wont QSL, or send the damned thing via the buro. Really Pisses me off. WHY would they not list their email? GRRRRRRRR!! Angry
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »

AFAIK when applying for a ham radio license you don't need an E-mail account. And even if you have one, you don't need to put it up on QRZ. QRZ lists you from some license database which certainly has no E-mail accounts listed. And many with E-mail addresses don't want their address up on QRZ out of spam concerns.

I agree it's pretty cool when someone uses the internet to their advantage in the ham radio hobby. But it's hardly a requirement. And although things have changed a lot in the past couple of years I certainly do not expect every overseas ham, especially older overseas hams, to have E-mail addresses or if they have them to list them on QRZ (a distinctly American website).

If you really want to work at "internet speed" IMHO you have to skip paper QSL's and go straight to LOTW. This whole business with GS's and IRC's and E-mails and paper QSL's where we need 5 or 7 or 10 things in the chain for the QSL to get through is just crap, in comparison. I still appreciate paper QSL's and the bureau and the card-checkers, but if we're gonna insist that hams monitor their E-mail for QSL card requests we really should just skip that step and go straight to LOTW.

Even though many really do "get" LOTW and upload their logs, there are many that don't "get it" 'cuz they've got their head up their rear out of ARRL hatred or some other personal problem. So even that's not a cure-all.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:25 AM »

A reality check may be needed here.
As N3QE said, QRZ.com obtains its data from public sources and is in any case a private, for profit, enterprise.
It is not a government agency, or a public service, and has never advertised itself as such.
It is great that you, I and others can get some basic information from QRZ.com for free, but this is incidental to its purpose.
Why should every ham provide an email address, which can then be used in spoofing, identity theft or whatever  other scam the con men of the world dream up.
I am sure the owner and administrators of QRZ.com would agree.
Also, some hams can barely scrape together enough money to buy a cheap rig, less pay for a broadband/cable internet connection.
I know of one ham in the philippines who has to get on his motorcycle and ride 11 kilometres along a jungle road to get to a town with an internet cafe to check his email (DV5PO).
Sure, some DX stations do not answer QSL cards, even when accompanied by SASE's and payment, but lets get real here,
walk a mile in their shoes before criticising.

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:06:54 AM »

"I know of one ham in the philippines who has to get on his motorcycle and ride 11 kilometres along a jungle road to get to a town with an internet cafe to check his email (DV5PO)."

Well, bully for him. Yet, it sounds a bit like my Grandparents who had to walk FIVE MILES to school, through snow and sleet and, guess what??  UPHILL BOTH WAYS.

I dont get spam, etc. I have filters which send spam on its way bye bye. By the way, many spam filters are FREE for the asking.

I still content that a large percentage  of hams who dont enter their email address on QRZ.com are simply avoiding contact, for WHATEVER reason. You can agree or disagree, I really dont give a mule muffin.

Lets see now..... Hmmmm..... NO email address for contact info. NO callsign used on forums. Looks like both fit in the same bucket, along with the cow pies.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »

Don't feed the trolls!!!
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

Well, bully for him. Yet, it sounds a bit like my Grandparents who had to walk FIVE MILES to school, through snow and sleet and, guess what??  UPHILL BOTH WAYS.

I have to apologize, obviously you live in an Escher universe or on a Moebius strip, so things are different there.

73s
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »

"I still content that a large percentage  of hams who dont enter their email address on QRZ.com are simply avoiding contact, for WHATEVER reason."

One really good reason just might be to avoid being hounded by impatient type A aggressive QSL hounds.

73 de Chuck NI0C
KQ7W

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »

"I still content that a large percentage  of hams who dont enter their email address on QRZ.com are simply avoiding contact, for WHATEVER reason."

One really good reason just might be to avoid being hounded by impatient type A aggressive QSL hounds.

73 de Chuck NI0C

quoted for 100% agreement...
ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:16:07 AM »

I guess from now on, I will check to see if they have email info on QRZ.com prior to sending my card and funds. No email address, i just wont QSL, or send the damned thing via the buro. Really Pisses me off. WHY would they not list their email? GRRRRRRRR!! Angry

Gene, I had very similar problems. Then we came up with an idea to share "qsl reception experience" among interested folks.

You might want to take a look at our voluntary tiny service and feed it with your problematic callsigns.
If some of them are extremely "red" (very few people, if any have got a qsl back), then next time you could save some GS and don't send them your card in the first place.

http://adok.dyndns.org

Just a random example of a "hopeless" qsl-er
http://adok.dyndns.org/stat?call=ua6bcm
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:04:05 AM »

If you are not getting a return direct QSL a high percentage of the time you are doing something wrong some where.
I am sitting at 310 confirmed and 4 short (on 80) of 5BDXCC and have always had a very high return rate and I have always used green stamps exclusively.
Use no callsigns on the envelopes.
Do not use printed labels.
Make sure people can read your writing. if I make a mistake I never overwrite it, I toss the envelope and start over. Same with cards.
All folds go at the bottom of the envelope, card in between all the folds to anchor everything.
2 USD minimum inside the flap of the folded return envelope which is filled out.
Club stations can take a LONG time to reply.
Prepare to WAIT. They get thousands of cards they don't even need and it is not fun going through them all often in the contest off season.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

My QSL return rate is actually quite good, or at least I think so.  I am at 281 worked and 276 confirmed with cards, and 4 of the 5 not here yet are expeditions which will be coming in. The other is for a couple of DRC contacts which are still not approved at the DXCC desk, tho I think they will be sooner or later.

The group of 16 I refered to above were all 80 meter QSOs, and all are needed for my working toward 5BDXCC too. Granted, 14 of the 16 ARE confirmed on LOTW, but I do collect the cards, and dont consider the contact complete until their card is in my album. I understand you guys who have been doing this since Noah sailed the ark dont give a $#it about more cards, but some of us do, including myself. I generally dont have problems getting cards back, but there seems to always be one or two who dragass in getting their cards out.

My "average time" of return for NON-expedition cards is probably in the 90-120 day range. When they have not arrived in 6 months or so, I usually ask them if my card, etc., was received and if so, I gently "prod" them a little, asking for their card. Usually works for me, but my gripe as noted above was the lack of email to get in touch with people whom I want to query regarding my card arrival, etc. I mean, writing them a damned snail mail letter is not what I had in mind. If they did not get the first mailing, they probably would not get the snail mail letter either.  73 es gud DX,  Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:06:22 PM by Gene Mack » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: