Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ standards  (Read 9484 times)
AD7XN

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »

As a new ham I have not tried any FMJ products,but I will be receiving the 259B soon.
I have been in electronics since 1957 and am retired now.
I have worked in companies that built electronics for the military,and NASA as well,and know good work when I see it.
I have read just about every forum on FMJ gear-many times LMAO over the comments,but they are still in business and apparently doing fine.
What I have gotten from the forum,s is -Thier stuff is worth the money if you get one that is;

Put together properly (50% of the time ?) not a semi kit- LOL !!
They work as advertised and have a decent life span as long as you don't abuse them !

In other words-good consumer grade products which need better QC.  Can you imagine the cost to build say the 259B to military specs Huh

If thier QC was perfect would your thoughts about FMJ change ?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:18:55 AM »

Does anybody know whether MFJ actually builds the variety of stuff that they sell in their own factory? Perhaps the products are made by a variety of different companies in different locations. That might account for difference in quality that seems to exist between different MFJ products. It seems like they would need to have quite an extensive operation to design and manufacture the large variety of products that they sell.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »

I have owned perhaps 20 MFJ products. One arrived dead, the rest were working with no loose parts. I think the reviews tend to be written by those with complaints. I have eight MFJ/Ameritron products in the shack right now. They can have their quirks but do the job at a fair price.

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 07:21:09 AM »

MFJ makes most of their stuff in their factory in MS.  I went there for their 35th anniversary party a couple of years ago.  Nice weekend trip for my wife and me - one day at MFJ and another day in Memphis.  At MFJ we had tours of their Ameritron, HyGain, MFJ and sheet-metal facilities, which are all within a very short distance of each other.  Pretty interesting day.  They have their own SMD pick and place machine, as well as auto-insert thru-hole equipment and wave-solder equipment.  I believe that their power supplies are purchased elsewhere, but I'm not sure.

I also have a ton of MFJ/Ameritron stuff.  This includes most of their autotuners, an ALS-600 amp, RCS-12C remote switch, MFJ-4726 remote switch, three different switching power supplies, antenna analyzer, dummy loads and wattmeters.  The only problem I ever had was with a MFJ-902 antenna tuner.  They had just come out with the product and it arrived with the inductor switch broken.  I called and they said they'd discovered they needed to support the switch/inductor assembly as forces in shipping could break the switch.  They told me to keep the broken unit and they just sent me a replacement (which had the inductor support).  I bought a new switch from Mouser and wound up with two tuners for the price of one.

Phil - AD5X
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

At MFJ we had tours of their Ameritron, HyGain, MFJ and sheet-metal facilities, which are all within a very short distance of each other.  Pretty interesting day.

I'd love to see a video of how they put a 259, for example, together. How many employees do they have?

With so many atrocious ham suppliers these days,  the good ones should get the credit (and revenues) they deserve.  My experience with MFJ has been "Mighty Fine [period]."
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »

I have owned perhaps 20 MFJ products. One arrived dead, the rest were working with no loose parts. I think the reviews tend to be written by those with complaints. I have eight MFJ/Ameritron products in the shack right now. They can have their quirks but do the job at a fair price.

Ditto. Of the dozen or so products, only one had a problem and the dealer took care of it. I have no hesitation buying from MFJ.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »

I have had no problems with any MFJ product I have purchased.  On the other hand, I bought a 30" flat screen TV that was DOA.  So, I suppose I should tell everyone who will listen that, based on one failure, that particular brand is junk?  Just another example of a squeaky wheel.  Grease anyone??  Grin
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »

I really have no hesitation, either.

The stuff isn't built to Rolls-Royce standards, it's built to Kia standards.  Most of it works, some of it is quite unique, and in many cases I couldn't homebrew an equivalent product on a breadboard for less than they sell it for.

They also have a decent warranty and will repair or replace stuff if you're not satisfied, so there's not much to lose except perhaps "time."

I wouldn't put MFJ gear on the Space Station.  But I have several pieces in my ham station.  There's a difference.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »

I've had three MFJ tuners with cold solder joints, solder balls and screws rolling around the bottom of the chassis, screws with stripped threads and missing screws in all 3 tuners.  I fixed them then sold them at our local swap and shop.  I have an 16 year old Ameritron AL811 linear with no problems until recently where I replaced the tubes with anodes rusted off and dead power switch.  These I consider wear and tear so no big deal.  I also have an old MFJ259B tuner that's at least 10 years old.  Both the analyzer and linear are still alive and kicking.  Their stuff is fair to excellent and I would buy MFJ again.  I just bought a Tokyo Hy-Power (THP) HL1.2KFx 750W linear and when I compared craftsmanship to Ameritron's AL1300, the THP wins hands down.  If their QC was better, I would definitely buy MFJ/Ameritron. 

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:55:25 AM »

I have never had any problems with MFJ products, new or used, that I have bought. They are great for the for the price and they make things that you cannot get from anywhere else. Some of these guys need to set out gremlin traps for their shacks. Shocked

By the way, who is FMJ that the original poster was speaking of? Undecided
AD7XN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »

Sorry about that,I sometimes get the idea I am dislexic.
W4TQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac?  He stays up all night wondering if there's a dog.

Dan - W4TQ
WA8OLD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »

Cold solder joints are unfortunately nothing new. I bought a new AMECO TX-62 (6 and 2 meter AM transmitter) in 1968 or thereabouts , it would not transmit right out of the box....opened it up and NONE of the connections on the mutli wafer bandswitch had been soldered.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Everyone it seems likes to make fun of MFJ.

They make VERY useful items for hamradio which is why everyone ends up buying something from them. If there was no MFJ we would all be sad, no other manufacturer makes many of their items.

My own experience with them has been both good and bad. I bought several different MFJ manual antenna tuners, all very poor. Then I got a MFJ 993 auto tuner, a ground breaking tuner that has worked perfectly for several years. I have owned their MFJ 259B and tthe earlier 259. Both are marvelous tools, my 259b has worked it seems like forever. I have owned many of their other accessories with some good experience, some bad.

Yes I have had problems with some of their items. The warranty service is excellent. They do whatever it takes to get the item fixed and do not hassle you. When you call them they are friendly and helpful.

I feel they do not deserve some of the derision that ehamers give them with regularity. For what they charge, most of what they sell is ok. if they werre not doing something right they would not have survived so long in a very tough marketplace - hamradio....

Stan K9IUQ

KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »

The latest issue of QST has a few lines of text and some pictures of MFJ employees constructing products.  I've got a couple of MFJ products that work okay so I have no gripe.  Yet.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: