Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New IRC Chatroom dedicated to Amateur Radio  (Read 589 times)
KX5JT

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:27:03 AM »

On your favorite IRC EFNET server. Use your favorite client... #amateur_radio

Quality Hams wanted for live chat radio discussions, socializing, etc.  Political, Religious and Sexual chats will not be tolerated.  

Come support a quality discussion chat channel where we can gather for live chats.

irc://irc.efnet.pl/amateur_radio

http://www.efnet.com/  use your callsign as nickname and join @amateur_radio

73, de KX5JT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:08:26 AM »

<< Quality Hams wanted for live chat radio discussions, socializing, etc.>>

With all due respect, I thought this was what our radios were for.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:53 AM »

Lon, maybe it's a case of mic fright on one hand and not knowing morse on the other, so one must revert to typing.  That is what one still does in a chat room, no?

Ed
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:14:52 AM »

<< Lon, maybe it's a case of mic fright on one hand and not knowing morse on the other, so one must revert to typing. That is what one still does in a chat room, no? >>

If one has mike fright and/or doesn't know CW, then what are they doing with an amateur radio license? There's always the various digital modes that give the keyboard junkie their fix, though.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »

hi,

I had a customer that earned a Law Degree from
Harvard, however, he never practiced law a day in
his life !

if there is interest then the IRC will work out,
if not, it will go away.

not everyone has a club in their area or can make
the meetings or have an elmer handy.

73 james
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »

IRC chat rooms are great for meeting other hams around the world regardless of propagation.  We can share files with each other, information, ask, discuss and answer questions.  We can promote the hobby to the youth of the world who have never been exposed to Ham radio. We can make instant schedules with other hams around the world.  "I'm in Louisiana and you're in Spain, 80 meters should be open to you, let's try a contact on 3.795 lsb right now okay?"  

The possibilities and advantages to having a live chat area are endless.  Open your mind a little Lon. You are HERE in a forum instead of always on the radio. Same thing except a chat room is live.  Think outside the box and keep your mind open.  You may be surprised!  

There seems to be a lot of EGO and trolling for conflict in a lot of what I see in ham radio forums.

We want to promote the hobby with the high standards that were evident in ham radio way back from it's beginnings.

The #amateur_radio channel shall follow the Amateur's Code as close as possible.

The Amateur's Code
The Radio Amateur is:

CONSIDERATE... never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL... offers loyalty, encouragement, and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE... with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station and operation above reproach.

FRIENDLY... slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interest of others.  These are the hallmarks of the amateur service.

BALANCED... radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC... station and skill always ready for service to country and community.

-The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

73 and Thanks for shopping,
de John D. Tate, KX5JT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:34:11 AM »

Tom:

<< You are HERE in a forum instead of always on the radio. >>

I'm on the radio about six hours a day and on eHam about one hour a day.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »

I understand that.  Personally, I run my radio via Ham Radio Deluxe and I have my Dell Inspiron notebook setup with a dual view config and a large 19" flat-screen that sits over my rig.  I don't really seperate radio and computers.  They are married in my shack.  So I sit in the chat-channel whenever I'm playing radio, and listen to the radio whenever I'm doing computerstuff.  I run digital modes and logs and use eQSL and LoTW.

I love my computer and radio because all my friends live in them!

73 de KX5JT
K0PYB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »

Amateur Radio and Computers w/Internet:  tis a perfect marriage and compliment each other in this century.  That is about the crux of it.  Keep up the good work KX5JT and continue to advance amateur radio and not let it just sit there stagnant.  We don't want to encourage heel dragging!  73
KG4CNA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »

Excellent!  I just found this and logged in.  I'll have to add this one to my list of channels to sit in while "playing radio".  Nice going! Maybe Ill see you there sometime.

Does anyone use Linux (any flavor) full time on their shack computer? I use Ubuntu.  My IRC client is Xchat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: