Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECHOLINK & VERIZON DSL  (Read 1094 times)
N9EJS

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

I tried to get my friend's ECHOLINK to work with his Verizon DSL today, to no avail.  He has a Westell 6100 modem provided by Verizon.  The ECHOLINK UDP tests fail every time.  I called Verizon and they were of no help.  
I finally found N8FXH's post under ECHOLINK in this forum, and he says he doesn't know anybody that's been able to get ECHOLINK to work with Verizon DSL, regardless of the modem.
I wonder if there is actually anybody who has been able to get it to work with Verizon DSL?
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »

You didn't say if there was a router in the network or if it was just a single computer.  Try taking the router out of the loop and hooking the computer straight to the modem.  Disable all firewalls and see if you can connect.  If you still can't connect, then Verizon may be blocking the ports in violation of net neutrality laws (similar to Comcast's blocking of the BitTorrent ports).  If they are blocking the ports, just mention "net neutrality" and see if that fixes the problem.
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:29:39 AM »

Thanks for you reply.  I didn't want to go too deep in details to begin with.  There is a Westel 6100 DSL modem, which apparently also has a firewall in it.  You can't disconnect that of course.  
I was trying to go the route of Port Forwarding, but couldn't find any screen to get to it.  I've done that with my own set up, but I don't have Verizon/Westel 6100.  
When I told the Verizon rep I needed help on Port Forwarding, she says "I want to tell you up front, I won't be able to help you with Port Forwarding. I like your mention of "net neutrality".  
I am still hoping to find some one out here on eHam that has ECHOLINK working with Verizon DSL/Westel 6100 modem, but that may be wishful thinking!

73 - George, N9EJS
AB3BO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »

I have the 6100 DSL modem and Verizon.

There are Firewall settings.

If you go to the Modems Web page...
There should be Firewall settings and then port forwarding settings available for setting udp and tcp
ports.

I have one Service/Port forwarding rule dedicated for the udp ports (5198 & 5199) and another Service/Port forwarding rule set for tcp (5200).

Verizon apparently pumped new firmware into this modem a number of months ago as the screens have changed (become more colorfull). Regardless I have been successful setting and changing port forwarding settings on both the earlier and current setup screens....

Let me know if you need more help/info as I would be willing to do print screens and place them into web pages for you to view if needed.

-AB3BO- Don
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:28:19 PM »

For starters, could you please tell me how to get to the modem webpage to find the Port Forwarding?  Thanks.

George, N9EJS
AB3BO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:54:46 AM »

The modem page is usually at a web location like

Open a browser on a computer connected to the router and type the address into the browser's address 192.168.1.1 line.

The default credentials are "admin" and "password"

This page has some useful info. I know your not using limewire but some info there is good to know for setting up your Echolink forwarding....
The page has the old Westell 6100 screens...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/Limewire.htm

Good Luck...
AB3BO -Don-
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »

I'm 30 miles from my friend, so I'll have to rely on my near 80 year old memory for the present.  I went to the following web-site, which is similar to the one you suggested I look at:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/Echolink.htm

When I followed the first step and went to 192.168.1.1, it didn't bring up the Enter Network Password page.  Instead it brought up some kind of Verizon page, with several large tabs about 2/3 of the way down.  One of them was Firewalls. and when I went there I believe there was a list of exceptions shown, one of which was ECHOLINK, but no opportunity to do any editing.  I also believe there was a Port Forwarding icon on the left side menu.  I clicked on that, but it didn't bring up anything that would allow me to edit the Port Forwarding.  I went through that several times, finally calling Verizon and that's when they told me they couldn't help me.
With your set up, are you abe to get that Enter Network Password Page shown in the instructions?  I've went through this same procedure with my own computer and it works - but not on my friend's computer!  By the way, he does have the latest 2.0.908 version of ECHOLINK.

Thanks again.
AB3BO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »

Your near 80 year memory is doing just fine!

>One of them was Firewalls. and when I went there I >believe there was a list of exceptions shown, one of >which was ECHOLINK, but no opportunity to do any >editing.

When you have a chance get back to the screen you indicate.

On that screen there are two icons under action.
One allows you to see what the Rule is/are for the exception/rule/service. The other lets you remove the
exception/rule/service.

Name             Mode              Host Device    Action
*EchoLink      Port Forwarding
*echolink2      Port Forwarding
Add

I would click the action to view the rule and see if it lists the port#s with protocol provided.

The other option is to click on the X icon and delete the rule. Then do an Add. The Add screen and the options on it allow you to create New Port Forwarding Rule and set up everything you need for Echolink...

AB3BO -Don-
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »

Thanks Don.  I'm going to save your instructions for the next time I'm able to get over there, which maybe a while.  My friend is 90 years old, and his memory is better than mine!

73 - George, N9EJS
N1JEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »

I have verizon and Echolink, you have to go into the modem set up program and tell it to open 2 ports, ( I think it was 589 and 599) It does work. good luck

Rick
N9DO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »

Yes, I have Echolink and Verizon DSl with the 6100 modem. I too experienced big problems trying to get the two of them together. I finally found the answer. Let me know for usre if you haven't found the correct method and I'll send it over.

73 de N9DO George
N9DO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »

Yes, I have Echolink and Verizon DSl with the 6100 modem. I too experienced big problems trying to get the two of them together. I finally found the answer. Let me know for usre if you haven't found the correct method and I'll send it over.

73 de N9DO George
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Yes, my friend is still experiencing the problem. I spent two hours at his place yesterday (30 miles away from me) working on it, with no success. I sure would appreciate your help! My e-mail is n9ejs@yahoo.com

Thanks and 73

George, N9EJS
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »

George - Just after I posted my previous reply giving me e-mail address, I found your posting with the instructions about typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, etc.
I tried that procedure several times before - but the problem is that it doesn't bring up that "Enter Network Password" screen where you put in the default username and password.
Instead, it takes you to a Verizon screen captioned ProLine DSL Modem.
I've tried everything I can in that screen, particularly under Firewall settings, none of which produces results.
My friend also has Verizon's "Internet Security Suite", which has an anti-virus and firewall program in it, but I couldn't figure out how to get into that bundled package to see if there were any TCP and UDP settings in there that could be checked.

73 - George, N9EJS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: