vertical antenna for 160 ,80 &40 mtrs.

<< < (2/2)

Vinnie Sallustio:
I have a Hustler 5BTV. 40M works fantastic. 80M gives me about 90 KHz band width, which is not OK. However, since I cannot stand the people on 80M anymore, so I have just abandoned it. A friend of mine in my club just brought a vertical, that does all 3 bands. I think it was over 40 feet. Someone else might know the model. 

Robert Koerner:
For inverted Vee for 160 with a 60 foot tower I would consider buying a trap for 80/160 and possibly making a loading coils to get the length manageable?  You can add the 40 meter inverted Vee under it using wooden dowels to hold it in place.  Drill a hole, on both ends of the dowel,for solid wire to pass thru. Run a short piece of 18 gauge thru the dowel and then wrap each end of the wire around your dipole while keeping the dowel touching the dipole.

Some where in the articles section is a write up WB2WIK did on a a multi band vert.  Whenevr I see someone ask about a vert I think of an excellent article on W4RNL's site, "Verticals without Vertigo".  You might enjoy a refresher on verticals, especially the section about top hats and radials.

Bob

Steve Katz:
A cute antenna that's prefabricated, pretuned and works pretty well for what it is: The Alpha-Delta DX-LB dipole.

It's a 3-band 40/80/160m dipole which works fine as an inverted vee.

Full bandwidth on 40, where it's about a full-sized dipole.  On 80m it's about 100 kHz bandwidth and on 160m, about 40 kHz.  Within those "windows" it works well.  Outside those windows, you can use a tuner to put power into it, but performance degrades.

I have one, and I've used it quite a bit, also hanging from a tower (at about 55 feet), so the "ends" are up about 15-20' above ground, tied off by ropes.  It's par with a 1/2-wave dipole on 40.  My "guess" is it's about 1-2 dB down on 80, and probably more like 6-8 dB down on 160, but it certainly makes lots of contacts, especially when propagation's doing most of the work. :D

I've also had the GAP Voyager vertical, and it's not bad.  It works well on 40, pretty well on 80 and not great on 160 but a whole lot better than no antenna.  As Tom N6AJR said, it is a "handful" to install, and it would be nearly impossible to put up single-handedly unless you're an octopus.  But with a friend or two to help, it goes up pretty easily (it's not heavy, just very long and "bendy").

Tom Rauch:
If you look at reviews or measurements of the Gap antennas they are NOT good on lower bands. I had one and compared it to a 35 foot top loaded vertical, and it was about 10 dB weaker than the 35 foot vertical. While that lets you make contacts it is almost mobile antenna strength.

Independent reviews agree with this.

I also would never, not even with a loading coil, use a 43 foot vertical on 160. Unless you do some fancy work it will never take power, or never be efficient. Numbers don't lie, base voltage has to be astronomical to radiate 500 watts from a vertical 40 feet tall.

It you want a reasonable antenna for 160 and 80, install an Inverted L antenna or do the tower properly and shut feed the tower. Inverted L's are easy to do. They also, instead of being 1 to 10% efficient, would be up at 50% or more efficiency.

If you have a good Inverted L on 160 there is little reason for a dipole. Save the dipole for 80 and 40. A good dipole on 40 will run circles around a vertical.

Unfortunately no one makes a good 160 vertical that holds up well, so you are on your own with that band. There are commercial antennas that make contacts down there, but nearly all are terrible. The exception is a real expensive antenna from Germany called a Titanex.

http://www.titanex.de/verticals.html

73 Tom

Greg Stec:
If you find the prices out of your range, try building.
Like the one in the pdf below.
ymmv
http://www.rsars.org.uk/ELIBRARY/ANTENNAS%20DOCS/160-80-40m%20End%20Fed%20%20Antenna%20G0CSK%20iss%201.1.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page