Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop recommendations  (Read 603 times)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

I had a used Toshiba laptop that I was using for digital comm, Echolink, etc. Not really using it much as I was just getting into digital (too lazy to take the time to learn it all yet). The laptop fried so I figure I'm going to get a new one this time as the old one had no memory, RAM, etc. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for an inexpensive laptop for use with a Yaesu FT897 and a Tigertronics SignaLink USB?

I'm looking at an Acer or a Compaq as those are around $550, but thought I'd ask the more exerienced folks out there before I spend too much or too little.

I'm mainly trying to be prepared for ARES type of incidents but as I get more involved I may expand, so any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks all for the info.
Dan'o :}
KF6HHH
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »

I expect everyone has their own personal preferences. I've purchased on-line and set up probably two dozen Dell computers including Inspiron laptops and not had any problems.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

At least 1.8GHz, at least 1GB memory, Windows XP with all service packs, and at least 1 serial port. Unless you really like working on a computer, avoid Vista like the plague.

de NA4IT
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »

hi dan,

IBM has thinkpads off lease, with xp professional
and serial and usb ports.  built like a tank.

https://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2576396&storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1

73 james
N0ZLD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

I have one of these for surfing, emailing, etc.  I have used it with digital modes and logging and it's perfect.  I'm sure more hams will catch on with using lower power, lightweight notebooks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220370&Tpk=1000h
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »

A used Thinkpad would be my first choice also. They're robust, they're RF-quiet, and they don't misbehave when directly connected to a rig (keying/PTT and rig control) that's putting out 100 Watts. I've never owned a linear, so I can't say what would happen at higher power levels.

I am on my fourth one now, and each time I upgraded only due to obsolescence (insufficient memory, processor too slow, no USB) of the older unit. Except for batteries eventually going bad, they never developed problems of any kind. Therefore I was able to get a majority of my purchase price back when I sold them.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »

Is there a difference between XP and XP Pro?  At least as far as I have to worry about with Ham and digital comm?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

Hi,

another plus for the Thinkpad, you can
download the service manual from lenovo site
and parts are always easy to get.

take a look here, good writeup on differences

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

73 james
N0ZLD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:53:26 AM »

There is no difference on XP Home and XP Pro that would affect your ability to use it for Amateur Radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: