Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter to HRO- re restocking fees  (Read 16548 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »

If you are the average Joe (not a big customer who the dealer trusts), try purchasing some memory, put it in your computer for a couple of days, then take it out and send it back to the dealer in the unsealed packages. I'll bet in 99% of the cases they won't refund your money even with a restocking fee.

Most car parts retailers won't take back an electronic component that has been opened either.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 02:00:16 PM »

While I agree with most of the replies on the restocking fee, I like Walmarts and Sams club policy on returns much better.

Walmart will take anything back cheerfully with no fees. With them the customer is always right EVEN when he is wrong.

Now take Sam's Club, which will take back items up to a year - except 6 months on computer stuff. Yep, that is right.

Last Year I bought a $1500 Samsung LCD TV from Sam's Club. After 8 months the TV had problems. What to do? Get it fixed under warranty? NO. I took it back and got my full paid price back. Cheerfully. I bought another LCD TV from them.

Now if we could only get Sam's Club to carry Hamradios......

Stan K9IUQ
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 02:24:50 AM »

Sam's Club, Walmart, and all these others are what started this stupid mentality to begin with.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:07:55 AM »

Sam's Club, Walmart, and all these others are what started this stupid mentality to begin with.

Why is it stupid to treat the customer well?

TenTec and Flexradio (5000a) have no fee 30 day return guarantees.

So does Scannermaster.

Are they stupid too?

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:19:00 AM by Stan Shestokes » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:25:11 AM »

Well then, the answer is simple. Buy all your ham equipment from Sams Club or Walmart  Grin
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »

So does Scannermaster.

Are they stupid too?

Stan K9IUQ

Those are manufacturers, not dealers. There a considerable difference , don't you know.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »

So does Scannermaster.

Are they stupid too?

Stan K9IUQ

Those are manufacturers, not dealers. There a considerable difference , don't you know.

Ten-Tec has made an interesting step by not selling ham equipment through dealers, for what must be many years now. I'm not sure exactly when they made the shift.

With the lowball dealer always providing minimal to zero service, I can't say I blame them. Folks deal directly with Ten-Tec's excellent sales and service folks and come away very impressed. I certainly have.

It is IMHO ridiculous that anyone would buy a radio for a thousand bucks or more and then just return it because they're bored with the radio, or with ham radio in general. But maybe that's par for the course with many dealers.

Tim.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 10:02:22 AM »

W3LK defends: "Those are manufacturers, not dealers. There a considerable difference , don't you know."

They are BOTH, don't YOU know?

Scannermaster IS a Dealer only. Don't YOU know?

This I do KNOW.
The end result for the consumer is the same. Satisfaction Guaranteed. I see NOTHING wrong with that.

Stan K9IUQ

AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »

I have worked in the instrumentation side of the "Oil Patch" for over 35 years.  20% is the usual restocking fee, for "Good" customers, it's normally 15%. 

However there are many businesses today that don't charge anything and don't give you any grief when returning something.  Zappos is an example, if you buy something from them and you don't want/like it for ANY reason, they will send you a label to ship it back at THEIR cost.  You have the option of a refund or exchange.

They are the leader in this field.  HOWEVER, they are a HUGE shipper.  A "Ham" store most likely wouldn't do as much sales in five years as Zappos does in a month.  That's what you need to consider when you make a judgement on them.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »

I'll tell you that I'd be very upset if I ordered a new TenTec and received something that someone else had played with for 30 days and then returned. If TenTec can afford to let you play for 30 days and then return it and then sell it at a discounted "used" price, good for them. They must have a bigger markup than most of the dealers.

The bottom line is ALWAYS that the customers are going to pay. No one else has any money. You either pay up front, or you pay a restocking fee, or you pay the new price for a piece of slightly used equipment or the cost is hidden somewhere else.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »

I've got some good news Smiley and some bad news. Sad

The good news is, for a little while longer, you can still enjoy the benefits of your Visa & Mastercard purchases, which means a company cannot charge you a minimum purchase price, cannot charge you a restocking fee and must pay back the original shipping and handling PLUS the cost of sending the equipment back to the ham dealer.  This is a little known secret many mail order companies have been hiding for years.

The reason?  The credit card industry states you are making an intangible purchase via mail order because you are personally unable to see, touch or even operate a floor model when ordering mail order.  So your first experience was when you received the equipment.  Therefore, the customer is afforded EVERY right when it comes to mail order purchases.

Now the bad news: You remember that new banking bill that was just passed into law?  Well they are now going to allow banks to charge higher fees (including restocking fees on mail orders....), require minimum purchase prices and eliminate having to repay shipping and handling.

Go Congress!! (No, I mean it.  Just GO!)

73, Bill
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:59:28 AM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 06:01:20 AM »

First let me say, HRO will NEVER get anymore business from me. I have purchased three rigs from them over the years. They sold me a rig that would not receive, and then refused to replace it. Even though their statement on the invoice and catalog said they would within ten days of purchase. They pointed out to me the VERY SMALL PRINT that says; "At The Discretion Of HRO they can refuse to do so". As for re-selling rigs that have been returned as new, wake up...it happens all the time with ALL retailers anymore. Not just radio gear. I recently purchased a flat screen HDTV that had been registered by a previous owner. And I was charged full retail price for same.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »

I'll tell you that I'd be very upset if I ordered a new TenTec and received something that someone else had played with for 30 days and then returned. If TenTec can afford to let you play for 30 days and then return it and then sell it at a discounted "used" price, good for them. They must have a bigger markup than most of the dealers.

The bottom line is ALWAYS that the customers are going to pay. No one else has any money. You either pay up front, or you pay a restocking fee, or you pay the new price for a piece of slightly used equipment or the cost is hidden somewhere else.

Ten-Tec does not re-sale returned items as New.  They have a separate listing for "Used/Demo" items, and they clearly state that the "Demo" category includes (amongst others) items that have been returned within the 30 day period, and that have been checked out by service -- but can not be resold as New.

Their margins aren't that big, especially in the Amateur market.  That is one of the reasons why they phased their dealer network out a good many years ago.

Bottom line is, if they say it's new, it's new.  If they say it's demo, it was either a display model or a returned item that was fefurbished.  It's that simple.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: