Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Army Morse Code Training Film  (Read 10653 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »

Thanks, I think I will give the rufzxp thing a try. It certainly cannot hurt anything.  Gene
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »

Some stories, including "quotes" from people interviewed in the early 20th century who were early telegraph operators, reveal they literally learned the code while waiting several hours in line -- at least well enough to pass the test when they got to the front of the line.

Now I can believe that - especially the last part, depending on what the test was. I've seen too many people in military code school who took a whole lot longer to believe that anyone can do that or even that very many people did it. Yes, there was motivation in the military. Flunk out and you are headed to a ship to swab decks for a living. They used to give an "aptitude" test to see how long it took you to learn a few characters before assigning you to the school.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »

Some history is on line, but a lot more is in library books. 

What's a "library book" Huh lol
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 05:50:42 AM »

I taught code in the US Army in 1966 at the O5B and O5C schools in Ft Knox, Steve and I can tell you there were no magic movies shown. The code process was simple, 5 letter groups each day for 2 to 3 hours, you came back after chow and on the weekends if you did not make the goals. Very little time was spent on sending but you were tested on sending. I watched a few hundred with very few failing
the course go thru and after 2 weeks  make 15 WPM.. But the big stick was if you fail the course your MOS now changes to COOK or a TANK and WHEEL mechanic. An E2 cook was a kitchen slave and same an E2 tank and wheel mechanic was a tank scrubber. When IC the cry baby's today talk about how tuff it is/was  it makes me sick. Remember learning the code only takes time and a regular sked, not 10 min once a week.73 Denny K8KAS    Retired   31G40  SGT
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: