Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Com port problem "Can't open com port"  (Read 525 times)
K5MBV

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »

Dave AA6YQ (author of Commander and many others)solved the com port problem. He had me to reload
Windows XP in the laptop not controlling the rotors.
This laptop was exhibiting other problems like locking up when trying to run just about any rig control software.

After I did this then installed Commander and the USB to serial driver, Commander opened up com port 4!

Unfortunatly my three rigs are FT-100D, FT-736R, and the old FT-757GX II. These don't respond well to CAT and other control. Sure enough the FT736 did light up the CAT LED, but I couldn't control it. Tried the FT-100D and it totally ignored commands. I think I need to load a different driver for it's serial to USB
cable and it should run. ...If I could just remember
which driver to load. I don't want top fill up all the
com ports again,

Can't thank Dave enough. He's a great guy and I really don't think the com port problem would ever been solved without his instructions over the phone.

Ken  K5MBV  
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »

Two points:

1. While I suggested to Ken that he reload Windows on his XP machine, what he actually did was run a registry cleaner. I was concerned that this would be insufficient, but it eliminated all the previous drivers that Ken had loaded, and then allowed a single driver to be properly installed.

2. Ken, don't add any new USB hardware or drivers to your PC!!!

If Commander was unable to control your FT-100D, FT-757, or FT-736, its because you don't have Commander properly configured (baud rate, etc). Don't jump to the conclusion that you need another driver!

I didn't pursue getting Commander controlling your radios with you over the phone because you said your primary interest is in doppler correction, which is not something that Commander provides. Commander can control all three of your transceivers to the limits of their CAT capabilities.

Dave, AA6YQ

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

hi Ken,

found this on another forum,

73 james

If you go into the property of the USB defined Com Port you may be able to set what com port you want it to be defined as.

I only use Keyspan converters. I use them because they work with every software that I have thrown at them and they let me define the com port that they report to be and I can lock them so that no matter what USB port I plug them into I get the same com port definition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: