Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrangler Pics Please  (Read 6888 times)
KC7NFF

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »

This is Adam,
   If you drive a Jeep Wrangler, can you please post some pics of how your antennas are installed and how you ran the coax?  This should help me greatly with some ideas I could use.  Thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:35:17 AM »

What antenna?  There are special hood mounts for the Jeep. Here's a source: http://kollmanradio.com/

If you need help with an HF, visit my web site.

KC7NFF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »

K0BG
   I have a Diamond CR-627b Tri-Band Antenna (6m, 2m and 70cm).  I also have a 10 meter Hamstick (7 Foot).
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:57:35 AM »

The Diamond isn't a very sturdy antenna, so you'll want to mount it someplace other than the roof area. It also uses an SO239 type base mount, which adds some insult to injury. There is a mount similar to hood mount with an SO239 fitting, but I don't know if Kollman sells one or not. Worth a call anyway.

The hood mount I referred to above, can be used for the Hamstick, as it's rather light. The mount comes with a standard 3/8x24 female, thread boss.

KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

I have just the 208 dual bander at the moment. I started with a trunk lip mount slid right on the end, of a KC windshield mount. then moved it to the back edge of the hood, just outboard of the windshield washer nozzels. the drivers side is my commercial uhf and my 2/440 is mounted on pass. side. I stuck with NMO's for ease of removal. and dont have to take them off to lay the hood back. there's a reinforcing channel to run the coax, and a nice grommet to run coax into cab and power lines to battery.
AB3EO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »

Sorry I missed this in July, but since it was reopened.

I have ball mounts on the sides behind the doors up high on the body (both sides), with Hustler quick disconnects screwwed in. Coax is under the carpet, and tucked against the tub. On the drivers side follow the harness that is already there.

For power make use of that nice big rubber plug above the gas pedal, and tie into the main battery connection in the under hood fuse block.

For those that say wire directly to the battery, that is where this goes. It just provides a more neater connection, without touching the battery terminal connectors themselves. I really don't like wires and ring connectors attached to the clamp screws of top terminal batteries.
N3JQD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »

I drilled right thru the right rear quarter panel and installed a ball mount.  Run the coax under the carpet, down the floor on up to the rig. Now, for the grounding tips.  Ground everything. Bonding as it is called. Ground strap the hood to the body.  The body to the frame, The exhaust to the frame as well. I took a braided strap from the ball mount to the rear tailgate bolts.  Make sure there is bare metal to conduct with.  I used an 80m & a 60m Hamstick with great results.  I had a problem with a noisy fuel pump which I could not get quiet, so I gave up on HF mobile.  It would work perfect on battery and/or when signals were strong enuf to overcome the buzz sound from the fuel pump.  Wranglers rock anyway you see it.  So HF in a Wrangler is way cool.  Yes, I had a magmount on the right side cowl just behind the hood for VHF/UHF also. N3JQD
N4SSE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »

I used a mount that goes behind the tail light, (got it from Quadratec).  I am using a Larsen NMO2/70.  Good match and seems to work well. 
N3JQD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »

I just saw a 2001 Wrangler with multiple antennas on it at a local hamfest..  It appears that one is an HF ant.  You can contact me from my bio page on QRZ.  I took several photos.
KD4AO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »

I am not sure why no one actually answered your request for pictures but here is a link to a Jeep site that has picture in several forums and posts.  Another place to look is www.jeepforum.com .  Hope this helps

http://www.jk-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?128-JK-CB-amp-HAM-Radios

Bob
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »

Adam,

I drive a Jeep my 2m is mounted between the hood and the vent thing, it is screwed in.  My HF welllll.  You could say bailing wire and duck tape, no not really.  It works a lot better than it looks.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/KE5DFK/DSC03778.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/KE5DFK/DSC03777.jpg

I am interested in how your going to mount your radio.  Not a lot of room in the wrangler.

Carlos
KE5DFK
KK7NF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »

Adam,

Here is a pic of my YJ. You can see the antenna on the fender:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/Conditionyellow/Jeep.jpg
KB8JNE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »

I too struggled with where to mount my HF antenna(s).  I picked up the super cheap Yaesu Motorcycle License Plate mount at the local store.  About $15 or so as I recall.  I relocated the hole for the 3/8" / 24 stud mount connector (purchased separately) to the end of the piece.  Basically I rotated the hole 90 degrees so it could be mounted vertically instead of horizontally, as if your plate were rotated 90 degrees.

I then used my dremel to plow out the mounting area a little wider.  I removed the spare from the back and loosened the tire mount and slipped the little license plate mount under the spare tire mount nuts and tightened it back down.  Presto, mount.

Yes, it's flexible and yes, part of the antenna does indeed bump gently into the spare tire but the tire is rubber and it actually helps compensate for the flexibility in the mount itself.  I have used this for the long versions of the hamstick type mono-band antennas for many months now and have had no issues tuning the antennas to under 1.5:1 and flat in many cases.  I have worked Europe and Jamaica now with the FT-817 on 5w and the longer 17m whip so apparently, it works.  Is it perfect, no.  Are there better ways, yes.  When the antenna is off however, there is no visible mount letting anyone know you are ham op.

To route the antenna cable, and I used RG-8 mini foam, I ran it under the plastic sections of the door frames (2007 JK Wrangler X Unlimited 4-door) and followed the 3rd brake light harness out through the back of the back door.  Fished it through just fine.  Had to make a second hole in one of the rubber grommets but it looks fine.

When the weather breaks maybe I'll take photos.

Sean
KB8JNE
KD4AO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »

Did you add any extra grounding to the mount or just let the bolt handle it?
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:50 AM »

I have a 2005 Rubi TJ - with CB and 2M radio

My antennas are mounted at the rear tire carrier area.  Cables run down and across the outside or the rear door, over the hinge, and enter via a hole I made in the bottom of the right tail light.  Then another hole to get the cable into the interior, run under the carpet, along the right side of the console and up through the dash to the radios mounted at top center of the dash.  

The dash center panel is pretty easy to remove and gives easy access to run antenna cables and power wiring.  I went right to the battery for power.  TJ's also have a spare power connections at the fuse panel behind the glove box - a 3 amp switched and 10 amp capable that goes direct to the battery, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link to pictures, equipment, and additional description of my setup.
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=646401#p646401

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:14:38 AM by W6CD » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: