Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a GOOD linux logger -- HELP  (Read 1011 times)
KQ6UP

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »

It is sad that there are no good Linux loggers out there.  I used tlf for this year's field day, and I don't even want to get into all of the issues we had.  I find tlf a decent little logger for a very minimal dx logger.  However, it is not a good logger for those of more senior age in our club.  They insist that WR9R is the way to go because it is so dumb dumb friendly.  However, WR9R is absolutely arcane and runs on 286 w/ DOS, and it does not have the option to export in ADIF format.  I love N1MM, and I think that this is a good model for how a contest logger should be done.  However, I don't like being tech support for the older guys at FD.  So, a good logger should have the ability to be put into a stripped down mode so as not to confuse the non computer people.  Also, it would be nice for it to run in console or GUI for use on older bare minimum systems.

Please comment and discuss.

Chris KQ6UP
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

Have you considered Dave Freese's Linux programs? He does both Linux and MS Windows. Most of his work with Linux uses the Fast Light toolkit, thus he calls the log fl_logbook.

Dave also one of the main developers of the NBEMS (Narrow Band Emergency Messaging System) which is available cross platform too.

For more information consider Dave's site at:

http://w1hkj.com/

KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »

I am thinking of a contest logger.  This looks like a nice little general QSO logger.  Xlog is also a pretty good for a general log program.  Tlf was designed to be a contest/dxpedition logger.  Tlf might be workable if I can get help fixing a few problems in it.

Chris KQ6UP
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 04:04:39 AM »

It would be interesting to hear what problems you did have with tlf.  I am not a tlf guru but have been considering using it on some upcoming contests.  Who knows, there might be an expert here amongst us.
KC7ZRU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:47:05 PM »

I'm interested in one too. But, I'd like to see one built on a LAMP stack. I'd host it on Linux - but well designed, it'd work on IIS (with PHP and MySQL) as well. Makes it available to any HTML client - regardless of platform. Authenticate users via PKI, maybe an SSL connection to a server under incident control. Either LAN only or via I-net as appropriate. Good security, reliable, portable, available and accessible.

We've already got several PCs, cables, WiFi and other infrastructure for Field Day and deployments. Making it possible for anyone who shows up with a PC/Laptop - no matter what kind it is - to access and use things without having to install anything is simply good planning. Everyone knows how to use a browser. Give them a username and password (or even better, a cert and they can 'play' too.) Having logs, messaging and other things centralized on a LAMP box helps with the setup, maintenance and above all, administration

Then, when an I-net connection is available, easy to upload log files to LOTW and the like. Maybe even via some 'stranger' (like a TV reporter) showing up with an EVO card or something.

Just wish I were more of a PHP coder....

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:35:46 AM »

you could try jLog -- written in java, so it will run on linux systems, macs and even on windows.

This way everyone can use their favorite os and still be using the same logging program

KA7O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »

But will it use a common data store for multiple users?
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »

It shouldn't be too difficult to mashup something in Openoffice Database (and/or MySQL). Sure, it would require a user to install an application, but OO is available for Windows and MacOS, and is free.

The tough part would be getting serial data (if you wanted to get freq/mode info from the radio), but not impossible. A company called Windmill Software has a free (beer) rs-232 reader available, I'm sure there are others.

I'd be interested in contributing, but I'm not really a programmer. I just know a little SQL...
VE3EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

Are you looking for a "Linux Logger" or a "logger that will run under Linux"?

If its the latter, I'd try running my favorite Windows logger under WINE. I suspect it will work just fine.

If you want to try a system that is "better" than some Linux then you might want to try PC-BSD 1.5.1. There are a number of Amateur programs available in their PBI application data base. "better" is of course in the eye of the beholder.

Last but not least is EMCpuppy 3.01.3.2. It has a logger of some fashion in it plus fldigi - a sound card decoder for digital modes. In the case of EMCpuppy it will run from the CD and save your files to your disk or Flash drive. Or you can put the whole thing on a 1 gig Flash drive and boot from it.

All of the above are easily found through Google.

Wayne
ON4AXV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:28 AM »

I have been working on a LAMP based logbook. Lack of freetime at this moment holds me from further development. It's absolutely not perfect ( I know ) but it's a start .... .

Jan.
ON4AXV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 04:29:15 AM »

I have been working on a LAMP based logbook. Lack of freetime at this moment holds me from further development. It's absolutely not perfect ( I know ) but it's a start .... .

You can take a look at www.lihalo.org  .

Jan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: