Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using HRD Wirelessly between two computers in different rooms of a house.  (Read 2930 times)
W7KSO

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »

I have a computer attached to my FT-450 and run HRD on it very well.  I would like to control the FT-450 from another computer in the house.  Both computers are connected wirelessly with a router on the computer that does not have the radio attached, and a wireless adapter on the one that's by the radio.  (I get a 90% signal strength from the router using  the adapter software to show the strength.)

I envision running HRD on the computer with the router, and attaching somehow wirelessly to the one that has the FT-450 attached, so I can control the FT-450 from the computer in the other room of the house.  Is this possible, or not?  Or is there alternative software that can do this?And how (if at all) would I get the sound from the FT-450 to the other computer in the house and vice versa?  I don't want to use the Internet itself.  Any help would be appreciated.  I may not have explained the situation correctly, so ask for more info if I need to clarify.  Thank you.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

I don't know if this helps, but Windows NT and beyond has a feature allowing you to connect to another computer on you LAN.  It's called "Direct Computer Connection".  Look it up or google it for details.  This allows you to use the computer in the living room, to logon to the computer in the shack and use what ever software is on the shack computer.  If you are doing digital modes, this should allow you to keep up with "Dancing with the Stars" or what ever else you wanted to do while on the radio.

This isn't a complete answer to your question, but it might get you started.

...bc
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »

Depending on the modes you want to operate, you might already have what you need. I suspect digital modes (using DM780) would be the easiest as the remote desktop (aka microsoft terminal services) will let you remotely control the PC just as if you were sitting there. You usually have to enable remote desktop connections on the "receiving" PC with the radio and then just run the client from the "sending" PC. I do this by running "mstsc", but then I'm a computer geek, so there might be an icon you can click somewhere.

If you want to do voice, you would need a way to get the audio back and forth. I know some people have done it... here is one web site with a little info about it: http://www.norcalmfg.com/amateur_radio_stuff This is a buddy down the road. His radio is in a detached garage near the antenna, and he works it from the kitchen table in the house.

-Jeff
W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »

If you look through the HRD User Guide you will see remote operation is built in. You don't need remote desktop services. You just install HRD on the second PC and connect to the one attached to your rig over the network. I haven't done this in awhile but I was able here in California to control my friends rig up in Washington.

Also, check out the support forums on the HRD website.

Pete W6OP
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »

I have not had much success using the Windows built in Remote Desktop terminal over a wireless network.  I use digital modes quite often.  The remote desktop session gets network bound due to the waterfall display.  The wireless network, in my experience has just not been fast enough. 

Like Pete said, I would try to just use HRD.  You can definitely control the radio as HRD has built in client and server interfaces that let you link between two computers.  That control traffic is pretty light.  So, the wireless network shouldn't be a problem for that. 

You will then have to solve the problem of getting the audio back and forth between the two computers.  Skype is what some people are using.  I haven't tried this myself.  But, using Skype means using the internet which you said you don't want to do.  I'm pretty sure there are other software packages for routing the sound that could do it directly from box to box.  There are probably hardware solutions too.

Richard
K4KRW
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »

I have the following setup to remote my FT-857d

home setup
1. laptop running Xp and HRD
2. laptop connected to FT-857 via usb using buxcom rascal( audio i/o) and seperate usb control
3. Laptop is also running Teamviewer ( remote access control) and Skype ( audio i/o), with skype set in the autoanswer mode

mobile setup
1. a laptop running Teamviewer and Skype

teamviewer allows for remote control of the computer( which also includes HRD running)
 as if you are sitting right in front of it

skype allows you to call in remote for audio

with teamviewer i can access my home rig from any where on the internet..even my living room ;-)

this quick...easy ...anf all s/w is free

Paul K3SF

N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »

The easy way of doing it is get a copy of Real VNC, load the computer at the rig as the server and
the other computer as the Viewer.

When you enter the IP address of the server VNC you will see the screen of that computer on
the computer with the viewer.

I have been in the living room down stairs and ran PSK on the rig and computer up stairs

easy to do

my 2 cents
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: