Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TenTec 1340  (Read 1765 times)
KC2YQY

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »

Would anybody out there consider assembling my TenTec 1340? I am still pretty much a novice when it comes to kit building and bit off a little more than I can chew. I would certainly compensate any takers. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks
73 KC2YQY
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:40:35 AM by WLK » Logged
KB9HV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:48 PM »

Just take it one step at a time...

You wouldn't have bought it if you didn't actually want to build it.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:26:53 AM »

Absolutely... if you want to practice soldering, just get some perfboard at Radio Shack and just put some wires through the hole and go at it.  I'm sure there is someone in Rochester at a Radio Club that would be more than willing to show you the ropes.  It's a good skill to have, and I can't think of how much I have saved by being able to go in to a device and resolder something.

When I was 13 or so, I took on a 200 piece kit.  Kits are great, they are usually written with the beginner in mind, and go through step by step.  Kits like the Ten Tec will tell you what to test for as you go along so you can identify problems.

You can do it!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »

30+ years ago I was building a Heathkit GR-2001 Color TV with ALL the options, doing a little bit after dinner every evening.  My daughter, who was about 6 at the time, liked to watch me and help.  I had her hand me resistors (she learned the whole color code by the time we started watching that TV!!) and other components, and I noticed that she was saving some of the clipped-off leads.

One evening as I was getting the soldering iron heated up, she came in with a piece of cardboard that had those pieces of wire poked through it and the ends twisted together!  She had heard several electronics-type terms, and she decided to label the project "Andrea's Conceiver".

She still has it ... Works as good as it ever did.  The TV lasted over 15 years and went through three picture tubes before we got rid of it.

It was a monster project, but very worthwhile.  I'm glad I didn't let myself get overwhelmed.  I'd have missed the neighbors' envy, and my daughter's invention of the "conceiver".

Stick with it.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »

As an additional help source, check the Ten Tec site under the T-kits downloads and you will
find a large acrobat file on constructing this kit.  Some fellow photographed each step (about 360)
in the construction.  I am doing a 1320 and if you can solder, you can build it. Just take your time
because unsoldering is a pain.  In the end, if you mess it up, TenTec service dept can make it right
for you and they are just a phone call away if you need some advice.
Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: