Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio and 4X4 Clubs  (Read 15339 times)
KF7ITG

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »

Being a new ham myself one of the things I am interested in is exploring the practical side of Amateur radio. I have noticed many references in the ARRL material that encourages recruiting new licensed Amateurs into the ranks. This was idea that was put forth by a Tucson Radio Club several years ago that worked out to everyones benefit. Several of the Amateur Operators were also 4X4 enthusiasts that belonged to a Tucson Four Wheeling Club. All 4X4 clubs require a CB radio to precipitate in their outings so no one gets left behind in case of a breakdown. With the CB’s relative short range all of the vehicles needed to stay bunched up in rough country. The Amateur Operators in the 4X4 club thought it would be cool if everyone in the club had a Technician Ticket and be able to operate higher power radios. This would enable everyone to stay in contact with each other and not requiring everyone to stay so bunched up. Long story short, the Amateur Radio Club held study sessions to help 35 of the 4X4 club members get their Technician Tickets, 25 % were women. The members of the 4X4 club bought 30 new radios which they are enjoying immensely. I understand that 3 of these people have upgraded to General. I would suggest that ARRL or some of the local radio clubs may like to look into contacting some of the local 4X4 clubs nation wide to see if there is any similar interest. This may be a prime group of technically savvie people that love toys to recruit from. There are other options like setting up an Amateur Radio information tent at the annual Easter Jeep Safari in Moab Utah. This event has thousands of 4X4 enthusiasts that show up each year. This could work both ways … get some some 4X4 club members to join your radio club and who knows maybe you could get out and do a little four wheeling. just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:02:10 PM by James Angleton » Logged
K7VZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »

Hello,
Please check out the 4x4 Ham group (http://www.4x4ham.com) which originated in the Phoenix area over 2 years ago.  We are planning an Oct. 23 trip to the Titan Missile Museum, so feel free to join us. 

You make some great points in your post and ham radio is an invaluable tool in the 4x4 on the trails.  Once you leave pavement in AZ, cell phones stop working and many times the standard CB or FRS radio does not even provide the coverage needed. 

Virgil K7VZ 
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »

The local 4x4 group I partisipate with has a large percentage of hams.  CB is mandatory for trail communications.  Mostly tech class, with several upgraded licensees.

For safety communications having at least one ham radio equipped vehicle is encouraged for every off-road trip.  Additionally, often with larger groups on the trail the leader cannot reliably communicate to the 'tail gunner' via CB - so a ham in front and another ham bringing up the rear is a very good thing.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:34:24 AM »

There are many activities where an interest in getting at least a tech ticket and a good 2 mtr. mobile is extremely helpful.  4 wheeling is just one.  I know of a bird watcher group that uses handi talkies with earphones to call attention to what they see.  Hiking is yet another activity--especially way off in the woods.  Heck, even just sightseeing can be made more fun AND less worrisome.  Bicycling is yet another.

In short, if you combine amateur radio with an any activity that you're not in talking distance to do, you can have more fun!
KC5MO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »

I got several members of our Military Vehicle club to get licensed. It's great on convoys and static displays. Working radio equipment really draws a lot of interest, especially when working DX.

Herb  KC5MO
WB7X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

The 4x4Ham group has grown a lot and has several operating activities including Field Day, VE Testing,
Titan Missile Museum Event, et al.  Also are doing a slow speed CW monthly net and are inaugurating a HF
net this Saturday afternoon.

They do streaming audio and chat room for the weekly VHF net.

Currently have members from all over the country, and some DX.

The website is http://www.4x4ham.com/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:56:18 PM by WB7X » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

The 4x4Ham group has grown a lot and has several operating activities including Field Day, VE Testing,
Titan Missile Museum Event, et al.  Also are doing a slow speed CW monthly net and are inaugurating a HF
net this Saturday afternoon.

They do streaming audio and chat room for the weekly VHF net.

Currently have members from all over the country, and some DX.

The website is http://www.4x4ham.com/

Bill,

Is the same group that was going to activate DM32 (or some grid close to it??) a few weekends ago. I listened for them but never heard nothing here in DM15. If so, how did that turn out?

Gene W5DQ 
DM15

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB7X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »

Hi Gene,
That was the group. I wasn't there but heard that the prop was uncooperative. 

Here is more info as to the outcome.

http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php?629-DM31-grid-HF-Event-Campout-at-Organ-Pipe-National-Monument.
WB7X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »

VHF net tonight 147.24 at 8:15 PM MST.

Out of area can listen via the LiveStream on the website. Also have a new and improved chatroom active during the net.

http://www.4x4HAM.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: