Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DJ-V17 software  (Read 1921 times)
SV1ENS

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »

Hi All,
I downloaded the programming software for the DJ-V17 from the US site, it installs OK, but for some reason it will reject anything following the decimal point in the memory programming.
Does anyone have a more resent version ? the one on the site is a beta version from 2006...
Does anyone use this software ?

Demetre - SV1ENS

HAM GROUPS---------------------------------------
Yaesu:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yaesu-radio/join
Kenwood:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood-Radio/join
Icom:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IcomRadio/join
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:38:40 AM »

Demetre,

I'm not familiar with the radio or the software but two suggestions based on some of the other programs I use would be to just input the frequency and not worry about the decimal point.  The software may place it automatically.  For example, to program 146.52 you would enter 14652000 (it takes 5 places after the decimal if the radio accepts 6.25 KHz frequency steps - 4 if not).  To be sure, just type trailing zeroes until the first digit scrolls off; count the digits remaining in view and enter it again with one less zero.

Another thing you might try.  I've noticed that some single band radios don't want the first digit when programming.  Try typing in 4652000 to program 146.52.  Again, I don't know the radio so this may not apply.

Sorry I don't have a real answer, but you might try the suggestions.  I wish you success.

Allan - N4NLQ
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:55 AM »

Hi Alan,
Apparently this SW was produced for the US market, so the only decimal sign it accepts is the dot.
In any case, I changed the system settings to US, programmed my HT and turned the setting back to GR.
A small inconvenience, but what can you do... This was a free S/W.

Demetre - SV1ENS
M3NUH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »

Hi,

I am in the uk and cannot get this software to work -

If you know the software there are three tabs - settings 1, settings 2 and Memory and accessing the radio gives different results;

Settings 1 Tab:

Read Settings - "Communications Error" at PC, Radio displays RD00E0, presumably an error code

Write Settings - "Communications Error" at PC, nothing happens at the radio end

Auto Select Model - "Communications Error" at PC, nothing happens at the radio end

Settings 2 Tab:

Read Settings - "Communications Error" at PC, Radio displays RD00E0

Memory Tab:

Read Settings - "Communications Error" at PC, Radio displays RD0200 ( different to the others)

I am at a loss!

You said that the software was designed for the US and you changed your system settings to get it to work - you must have meant the PCs settings? I cannot find any country settings in the radio or the software.

Regards,
Mike

SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

Hi,
You need to set windows regional settings to US because the decimal point used by the program for the frequency will only recognize the US non metric settings.

Once you finish programming the DJ-V17 just set your windows back to UK and metric...

However, the error you describe is a serial port error, if I remember well, the program would only works with serial port 1 or 2. Check to see that your serial port is active, if yes check to see if it is 1 or 2 and set the software to be the same. Are you maybe using a usb-serial cable ? check to see what serial port that is, are you sure your program cable is good ??

Demetre - SV1ENS
M3NUH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this with various combinations of serial ports. I have just retried it with COM 1 and I get the same errors. It seems to be something fairly fundamental as I have come across another two UK users with the same problem and symptoms.

I have just come across this forum on eHam.net

Regards,
Mike

SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

Are you using the proper cable ? My cable had a regular non water resistant jack, I had to get a converter before I managed to properly connect to the HT.

Also, the Icom cable (which is supposed to be compatible) I got from ebay did not work, I used my Yaesu VX5 cable for programming...
M3NUH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

I believe I am using the corect cables - I have the EDS-10 cable and the ERW-4C Programming cable connected in series to the radio.

Mike
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »

If you have access to a Yaesu HT cable give it a try, it took me 2 days of testing to finally try the Yaesu cable, which worked...
My original cable was a ERW-4C compatible cable which was far from being compatible... I now use it on a Icom HT which works fine... go figure...

Demetre - SV1ENS

BTW the DJ-V17 was a disappointment, I was expecting Alinco to do better, I finally sold it and replaced it with a much cheaper Feidaxin HT... If you look under the review section you'll find my review of both radios...
M3NUH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Thanks again. Your reviews are quite telling! You recommended a Yaesu cable - do you know the part number?
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »

Hey Mike,
Actually I recommend nothing, I just tell what worked for me...

The DJ review says Icom, however this is a typo, it should be Yaesu cable.

Anyway, hope you find a way to program the DJ-V17 the easy way...

Demetre - SV1ENS
M3NUH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:51:16 AM »

Hi Demetre,

Thanks for your help and advice. I will keep trying. I now need to see if I can borrow a VX5 cable!

Regards,
Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: