Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter Vertical Plans  (Read 6172 times)
KC2YXU

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

Does anyone have the measurements for building a 10 meter vertical antenna?

Ian,
KC2YXU
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »

You're in luck, 10-meter verticals are a piece of cake. Cut your radiating element about 8'3" tall and run a dozen or so 5- or 6-foot long ground radials, and you'll have a pretty good antenna for 10-meter SSB. Even a CB whip cut down to 8' or so will work just as well. (If you want to elevate the antenna, say mount it on a roof, then make at least two radials the same length as the radiating element, 8'3" or so. GL
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

Ian,
KC2YXU

234/F  it goes like this  234/28.400 = 8.239 feet or 8 feet 3 inches or 99 inches. Make the radials longer 240/F I'll let you figure that out.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »

If you make the vertical 99" long out of aluminum tubing and the ground radials 102" out of 12 AWG wire (they should be a little longer than the radiator anyway) it will work well on 11 meters and 10 meters with a low SWR. On an elevated antenna, four ground radials are good, just angle them down a bit for the lowest SWR reading and using insulators, double their use as guy wires. For about $20.00 you should be able to make an outstanding 11/10 meter antenna. However, if you make the radiator 108" and the radials the same length, you will end up with an antenna that will perform well on 10/11/12 meters with a low SWR. Why build one for just two bands, when you could use it for three! Grin

I know what your thinking. He is telling me to just build a CB antenna. Why would I do that? If you build the antenna out of two pieces of telescoping aluminum poles, available from Ace Hardware, you can tune the antenna to perform the best for your current use by cutting slots in the top of the larger tube and clamping it at the appropriate length with a stainless steel hose clamp. Your needs may may change over time. No sense in wishing you had done something when you can cover all of your 10/11/12 meter bases now with no increase in price! Wink

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:01:04 AM »

OK, a 10 meter antenna. Consider what you to do CW, SSB or FM,  28.000, 28.500 or 29.500 MHz

Unless the diameter of the antenna is large you band width (swr) 2.0 or less is not likely to be almost 2 MHZ wide.

experiment and have fun.

the others gave you formulas its not magic, simply physics.

Go for it.

Tom Kb3hg
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »

Or hang a 99" wire from a tree branch down to the center pin of a coax connector.  Run two 102"
radial wires from the ground side of the coax connector down at about a 45 degree angle.

There are LOTS of vertical antenna designs and dimensions that will work.  A vertical antenna for
mobile use may not be optimum for roof mounting, for example.  What works best FOR YOU will
depend on the supports and materials you have available, where you want to mount it, how much
money you want to spend, etc.  You can make them 40' high, or just 1' high if that is what you
need.  One of the simplest approaches is to use an old CB antenna - you might have to shorten
it a bit, but test it first.
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »

In college I got a piece of conduit and a threaded coupler.  I also went to Radio Shack and got a 3/8-24 body mount with two insulating 'step washers'.  I put a metal washer on the BOTTOM of the two washers and put foil on it and wrapped the sides of the washers.  Then forced the washers into the threaded coupler (it was a tight fit).  What I ended up with was the coupler (about 3" long) with a 3/8-24 antenna mount in the middle and an SO-239 attachment point that had the shield connected to the coupler body.  I fed coax up through the conduit and attached it to the mount in the coupler (yeah, it was tricky tightening the connector inside ) , then screwed the coupler onto the conduit.   I topped it off with a 102" stainless steel whip.  Just set this on a chair on the deck outside my room and leaned it up into the corner.  Went about 17 feet into the air at the tip.  Worked gangbusters.

If I were to do it again, I'd use a 'cap' that seals off the pipe.  Drill a hole and mount the connector in hole.  It would make the 102" whip much stronger mechanically.  My washer in the coupler thing would come loose with time.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:21 AM »

Two Inch galvanized downspout...sitting on a glass Pepsi bottle, guyed with any nylon cord. Hey, it is a small, short, antenna!  'Fat' radiator with wide bandwidth.  'Fancy' version of the old Beer Can Vertical.  AND... you can solder to it!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

Don't really mean to sound like a curmudgeon, but
1) Didn't you have to learn these formulas for your ham exam?
2) Google is your friend.

OTOH, congrats on building your own antenna
instead of buying. You'll learn a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: