Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echolink  (Read 840 times)
JDWYER

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »

I have installed Echolink and I'm trying to configure my Westell 6100 DSL box to allow ports UDP 5198 and 5199. However when I follow the instructions at Port Forward, go to IP address 192.168.1.1 and type in admin and password I get a message saying "Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)." What does this mean?

Thanks in advance
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:03:09 AM »

This means that your username/password are not encrypted when logging into your router, so anyone on your network could easily get it.  It's really nothing to worry about.  But you should log on to your router periodically to make sure nothing has changed without your knowledge.

73 de AB3HJ
JDWYER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:51:29 AM »

Thanks but how do I log in to change the configuration if I can't get past the log in screen?

JD
JDWYER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »

RE: I downloaded Echolink and need to access the Westell IP address to configure my modem (the 6100) to allow forwarding of ports UDP 5198 and 5199 to make Echolink work. I need a username and password to do this. According to the Port Forward website the username should be "admin" and the password is "password" however these do not work. Anyone out there who has configured their (Verizon DSL) Westell 6100 modem successfully to use Echolink?

On Echolink Yahoo Groups there are appox 30 posts from individuals who have or have had this problem but there are no posts providing a solution. The only solutions I have found there are to use a different ISP and a different modem.

There must be another option.

JD
KG9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

Not sure if it is the same for DSL but for Verizon's FIOS modems the default username is also "admin" and the default password is "password1".  Note the "1" on the end.  Might be worth a try.

Frank KG9NZ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:18 PM »

hi john,

The default user name is: admin
The default password is: password

if this will not work, you should try
the user id and password that your
DSL provider issued you.

post back if you need more help.

73 james
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »

hi,

forgot to tell you..

unplug the dsl phone  line from the westell box.

then power it on along with your pc.

you should be able to access the westell box
using default password.

once the dsl box hooks into the dsl network, you
need the dsl name and password provided to you when
you signed up for dsl.

73 james
JDWYER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »

I tried admin and password1 but it did not work - also tried my Verizon username and password which did not work.

I don't understand the instructions of KE4DRN. If I disconnect my phone line I can't input the username or password. Please clarify your instructions.

Thanks,
JD
JDWYER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »

KE4DRN,

Also in your first statement you said to use the default username and password but in the next statement you said to use my Verizon username and password.

Please clarify.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

hi jd,

please try using lower case letters
for login and password.

In your browser's address box, type 192.168.1.1 to access the
Modem Configuration utility.
When asked for user name and password, enter your
router's username and password

if this fails, they you can try to reset the
westell dsl modem using the white recessed switch on the rear panel.  
Press white button for at least five seconds after the modem is powered on.

CAUTION: *** your settings will be reset to factory defaults ***

you will have to reconfig the dsl modem to continue using verizon dsl.

73 james
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

hi jd,

the login and password should be the one that
verizon mailed you when you signed up for dsl,
the primary username and password.

the reason I asked you to remove the dsl phone line,
you don't need the internet to conntect to the
cable modem.  your cat5 cable from the pc to the westell is all you need.

one more question, are you using any other equipment
with the westell  such as a wireless router ?

73 james
N8FXH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:02:59 AM »

I have tried this with Verizon's GT 704 Router/Modem and it says that it opened ports 5198 and 5199 but only 5198 works. Port 5199 is apparently blocked by my local Verizon equipment. No one in my town has been able to use Echolink on Verizon DSL. It doesn't make any difference which Verizon supplied Modem you are using. The Clarksburg, WV LAN is blocked from using Echolink. Any Ideas on this one.
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »

Assuming you haven't changed the password to something of yours and it is indeed the default, the username should be: admin and the password should be admin.

I have a westell 327W router and I had the same problem with it.

Name: admin
Password: admin

hope this helps you.

Tyler
N2EHG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »

there   strangely enough  are  regional variations to the verizon network  sometimes  settings for one town   are diff then the next,  sometimes it's done  deliberately ,  sometimes  they just  forget  to  set everything  correct.

works  great here in nyc,  my suggestion would be  do open a trouble ticket , if they say  no'  explain  (reamember be poliete  but your not asking  you have a right  to open a ticket)  that  it is  set   to allow it  in all other  regions  .  and that  there   upstream router isn't set  correctly ,  then  be sure to get that  trouble ticket number,  if the call center you get  is  foriegn this will be tougher  ,  once you get that  ticket,  and they ignore you    call the verizon presidential help line  (wait a few days)  and request  excallation to the next level,   you  are entitled  to work with these  more advanced  folks  who may actually be able to set a ticket to fix that  maybe     if they try and fail  or refuse  say  please escallate this to the next level, explain you waited over  a day or two(after the initial  delay) and also explain the problem is CHRONIC and that you cant use  a  primary approved  application, this should should then be a  manager(not a supv)  if you explain the situation you may have your best  shot  at  getting it  modified  to allow it.

i've had luck  in the past  via  this method   ,   hope the best for you always worth a shot  will cost you  prob  a few hrs on the phone

the other might be  in set up   NNTP  get a free newsreader  verizon has  a few   of it's own newsgroups avail only on net,  in your newsreader subscribe to  all the  verizon news groups it's about  5 i think ,   one is  a  request/tech   post  what you want  and why     high level verizon personnel do  readthat  frequently    it's a great   way to get  some  attention to people that can actually effect a change

it's 2am so prob  can't think of  a few more ways but hopfully it gets you started,  naturally at 2am i am 1/2asleep so  excuse  the poor spellink an grammer

good luck let me know how you make out
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: