Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sloper for 80/160m  (Read 8346 times)
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

This thread has provided some good information.

I am getting ready to install the Alpha Delta twin sloper on my 86 foot guyed Rohn 45 tower. I have an Optibeam OB11-5 at 87 1/2 feet. Six feet above that is a 7 element 6m beam and above that is a 12 element 2m beam.  What would be the optimum height on this tower to install the AD sloper?

mni tnx Mark N1UK
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »

Dont know anything about the AD Twin Sloper.  I dont like shortened wires or trapped antennas. 

My experience with Slopers is qtr wave wire.  You can cut  one for 80 and one for 160, connect them together at the top of the tower to a single run of 52 ohm coax  grounded to and taped to the tower leg. 

Id put both at the top.  Then  experiment with the lengths to get  them resonant at your frequency of choice.    Then watch out for the DX.  Youll be popular.
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »

I have set up my 60 foot tower (TH6DXX on top) with 4 slopers, switched with a Ameritron RCS-4 tower top mounted antenna switch. Three are a combo of 40/160 (1/4 wave on 160 and full wave on 40) in 3 different directions. They work like gangbusters on 40, but well...., as others have said, "at least they got me on 160". I also have a fourth that is tuned for 80M headed east, and it outperforms my N/S facing 80M inverted Vee.

I have 4 120 foot radials spaced out and connected to the bottom of the tower to provide a ground poise for 160.

I found it almost impossible to tune without using a analyzer, like MFJ and others use.

I have been very satisfied with these antennas, especially for how simple they are.

There is a pretty good book out about slopers too, called "Sloper Antennas", by OE5CWL. It is available through CQ magazine.

Good luck!

73;

Mike, W7VO
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: