Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-857D or FT-897D  (Read 10916 times)
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »

Hi to all

I have a 857D for abt 8 yrs now.
FB rig .
Use a 897D a lot at friends.
It is the same rig, nothing else to be said.

If You want to use it in CW do not forget optional CW narrow filter:
Only audio DSP is not enough for use of FT857/897 in CW.
I always use this in combination with DSP setting :
1 Noise Reduction at stting 8
2 Bandwith at setting 120 Hz.

Tried the FT857D against FT920 for 5 yrs.
Ft 920 was more comfortable in audio and handeling because you don't have to mess in menu's but that is all the difference I could find.

I used standard CW filter (500 Hz.) in unmodified FT920.
I used  CW Narrow filter (300 Hz.) in unmodified FT857D.

For use as base radio I would go for 897D for mobile portableI would go for FT857D.
This choise is only because of size difference , as my car is a '74  VW beetle and that is not a very big car hihi.

Used and abused my FT857D now at home on VHF UHF and as second rig on HF, and portable and mobile for alost 8 yrs and it still is alive, I didn't expect that when I bought it.

I have a FT450 for a little over a year now.
For CW only I prefer FT857D with narrow CW filter over FT450.
FT450 on CW is to wide and filter is easely blown by nearby stations.
Audio of FT857D on CW with use of DSP is much better as audio on CW in FT450

For CW I would say go for Kenwood TS570 or TS480 with a CW filter ofcourse
KF7LDW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »

Well got my 897D from HRO in just a day after I ordered it!  Got to love how fast they ship!  Love the radio, if not just for the looks alone.  Got the RT systems cable for use with FTbasic to get my memories transferred from my FT8800 over.  I do wish there was a easier way to adjust the power, I miss being able to program a power level for a particular repeater or just tap the mic button for easy changes.  Lots of menus and lots of stuff I don't even know what it does.

My main reason for this radio is as I get into this hobby I seem to be unsure where it will take me.  I started out with a VX-6 but was unhappy with it's "reach" so to speak and thought I'd be happy playing on the 2m/70cm bands but there is so much more to it than that!  CW, PSK etc..  At least with the 897D it can manage to do just about anything, it may not do everything great but it gives me a chance to see where this hobby leads me.  I have a superantenna coming so at least I can listen to the hf until I get a better handle on antenna options for my location and a vibroplex code mite to start out with on CW.

What's the most popular band for the tech CW's?  I'm assuming 40m?

Thanks
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »

At least with the 897D it can manage to do just about anything, it may not do everything great but it gives me a chance to see where this hobby leads me.

That's the raison d'etre of "shack-in-a-box" rigs -- they let you try most anything you want.  And they do most things pretty well.

Until sunspots get a lot better, 40m is your best bet for "tech CW".  Especially around 7.100-7.125.  The "slow CW" region was around 7.050. and is OK for Tech licensees.   The FISTS calling frequency is 7.058.  If you don't know about FISTS, you should -- it's very useful to new CW ops:

www.fists.org

One piece of unasked-for advice:

. . . Upgrade to General.<g>

Charles
KF7LDW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »

. . Upgrade to General.<g>

already studying...  makes it easy with the iphone app when I have a few minutes.

Thanks
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: