Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EZNEC vs EZNEC ARRL  (Read 1203 times)
K9FV

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »

Can anyone tell me the difference - if any - between the standard EZNEC 3.0 you would buy from W7EL and the EZNEC ARRL 3.0 version you get with the ARRL Antenna handbook?

I know the EZNEC 4.0 is out - I've been playing with it this week, but would also like to have a newer antenna handbook, and if I can get both for the price of one....

73 de Ken H>
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »

Since I did not get a response from anyone on the ARRL vs EZNEC software, I purchased the book/CD combo.

I am VERY disappointed in the EZNEC program that came with the ARRL antenna book.  EZNEC has a demo program you can download for free, but it will only handle 20 wire segments - enough to model a simple dipole or loop.  From reading it sounded like the version provided with the ARRL antenna book would actually model a "real" antenna without the segment limit.  Well, guess what.  It ONLY will display the files on the CD, if you try to save or change, OR view a file from a different source, it hits the same 20 segment limit.  So in effect, all it is, is a viewer for the files provided with the ARRL antenna book.  I'll just go back to MMANA antenna modeling program for modeling.

73 de Ken H>
G0OIL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:44:39 AM »

I appreciate that this is a rather old thread, but I fell into the same trap of thinking that I'd get at least a useable version on EZNEC with the latest (21st ed) ARRL Antenna book.

Having installed the software the latest version of EZNEC ARRL still only allows 20 segments.  It still appears to be the demo version that I could have downloaded for nothing.

I don't like to say such things, but to be it seems that ARRL have misrepresented things.  They whould say that it's demo software, tweaked just to show the designs in the book.

Perhaps if W7EL had provided a version that allowed, say, 250 segments, free for amateur use only then he may have found that a few more of us buy the real software.  I certainly would have.

Thanks to K9FV.  I didn't know of MMANA but have downloaded it and will use this.  Being a Yorkshireman who's half Scottish I like free stuff :-)

I don't blame W7EL for this situation and may still buy a copy of EZNEC.  It's only about 50 pounds UK Sterling and being an ex software developer I know how much time and effort he's put in.

But I just expect more transparency from ARRL.

cheers

Dave G0OIL / K2MOO / C56TTY
(an ARRL member!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: