Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about AC Log  (Read 480 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »

Hello all,

I am new at using AC Log and LOTW.  I noticed in the AC log QSL confirmation screen under QSL sent/confirm that it will often say S Confirm by "L" " "CL" or "C" or it will say R Confirm by "L" "CL" or "C." Can anyone tell me what these letters mean, as I didn't see anything about them in the help file.  Maybe I missed their explanation in the help file, I don't know.  I would assume that "C" means that the contact was either sent or received via a QSL card, but what does sent/received by "L" mean?  Is this confrimation that the contact was sent or received by LOTW?  I guess CL means it was sent or received both via QSL card and LOTW if I am correct?  Thanks for the help!

Mike KU4UV
KC3EF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »

Mike,

C means QSL card, L means LOTW.  

73's
Dick
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »

Better late than never for a response.

My suggestion is that you dump AC-Log and get "DX Lab Suite" (Google it to find the website). It runs circles around AC-Log and it's FREE. I used to use AC-Log until I asked the author how to go about getting reports of DXCC counts and was told to "Ah, just export the data and use it in Excel or some other spreadsheet". Huh? What kind of answer was that. Basically he just didn't support any kind of reporting.

I switched to DX Lab Suite the next day and never looked back!!
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »

KI6LO

Your information is very out of date.  ACLOG has now supported awards data count for several years.  This feature was added several revisions ago.  It now supports DXCC including CW, PH, mixed, digital, overall, per band, etc.  It also supports WAS in all its flavors.  It includes county hunting, IOTA, grid squares, WAZ, WAC and many others.

My recommendation to the original poster is simply to try them out for himself.  Find the one that suits his operating style and tracking needs the best.  Here's my personal review:

ACLOG - easiest, most user friendly logging software. It's interface is intuitive.  A nice of basic features including basic rig control and award
tracking.  Customizable main screen layout so that one can chose which fields are shown.  For example if you are always entering grid squares, you can put that on the main screen.  If you rarely enter power, you can take that off the main screen.

Ham Radio Deluxe - Requires a moderate learning curve.  Haven't bothered to explore all it's features.

LOGIC - Terrible design making the learning curve very steep and take way too long.  Not at all intuitive.

DXLab - OK but layout is poor.  Not as easy to get to some of the features as some of the others.  Learning curve is moderate to slightly higher than moderate.

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:32 AM »

Also the choice of software needs to consider the computer being used.  If your ham shack computer is an old model, DXLab will bog it down too much and will run badly on it or may not run at all.  This first computer I tried it on could not really handle it.  It would run but it took too much memory so was way too slow.  I had to close all but the most vital processes to free up memory for it to even come up.  If the computer is relatively new, then it is fine.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:27:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys!  I figured it out shortly after I posted on here, it should have been obvious but for some reason the obvious often confuses me.  I really like AC Log and I think it has a lot of nice features.  Scott has always been really good whenever I have e-mailed him about a software question.  I am 34 years old and I have been licensed since shortly before I turned 18.  I actually built my own computer that I use for CW practice and logging.  I may try to build another computer some time next year.  Thanks for the help!

Mike KU4UV
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »

A quick update on my earlier comments - I was using version 2.6 or 2.7 when I switched got fed up with the shortcomings and switched to DX Lab Suite.  I was using a PIII 1 Ghz 512Mb 60Gb system and it work perfectly with DX Lab.

I agree everyone should choose their own 'poison'. For myself, since going to DX Lab Suite, I have not had any problems doing exactly what I want to do - even without asking the author. As far as the learning curve, it does require some learning but doesn't require a degree in rocket science to use. If you can operate a modern ham radio transceiver, DX Lab Suite should be no problem. It is no harder to use the AC Log.

To each their own, but I'll take DX Lab Suite, thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: