Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moving to a new QTH, want to put up a vertical, but which? and how?  (Read 4664 times)
ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 07:07:01 AM »

Robert,
I agree with your observations and would like to give some additional food for thought:

a) 80m dx - requires very quiet (noise free) location. I can't do it in my suburban lot. Too damn noisy. 1/4 wave vertical for 80m is BIG. Be prepared for guy wires. Dipole for effective 80m dxing has to be at least 100ft up in the air. Could be a nice option if you live in W6 land and have some sequoias nearby Wink

b) 40m, 80m local qsos - vertical is very, very bad option since it's at least 10db down on high takeoff angles (>70 dgr) compared to low dipole. I have learned this the hard way Wink

c) 20m..6m - if your neighbors are really nice folks and permit tower, then by all means install a 3el steppir. If they are more restrictive, then install a hexbeam on light duty >40ft mast. If they are even more restrictive, then install a moxon on a light duty >40ft mast. Thats what I have done so far. If they are even more restrictive, then put up a 20m dipole as high as you can.

For dxing pick up something from C (the higher the better). For local qsos install a low hanging G5RV (multiband dipole). Low band dxing is something for the guys who live in the countryside. This is my personal 2 year experience.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:22 AM »

I think I am getting the message:

1.  Forget about a vertical for 80 meters.

2.  For 20 meters and above think Yagi, Beam, Moxon; and since these are directional, something to make them rotate.

3.  For 40 meters a vertical is workable and "requires" a good ground plane (i.e., radials).

So how do I interpret this?

A)  Some sort of beam (#2 above) for 20 meters through 6 meters - here the stepper IR seems ideal as does the hexbeam as does the bencher yagi.

B)  For 40 and 80 stick with a dipole.

Did I miss something?

For 10-20 including WARC, I would go with a beam.

For 160-80-40, I would go with an inverted L with is like a "L" shaped vertical. You can set up numerous 1/8 wave ground radials for 160M, and it should work well for all 3 bands.

OK, That is what I would do if I had the space and money. I am not sure others would agree.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:37:03 AM »

Robert, for a multiband vertical, I'd stick with a ground mounted antenna.  A directional antenna is all well and good, but is it realistic at where you are at his point in the hobby?  Another thing to consider is your stated budget. You'll be hard pressed to install a tower, concrete, guys, mast, rotator, and antenna(s) for your specified budget of $3K.   Now, you specifically mention 80 meters.  If this is your desire, none of the reasonably priced, multiband verticals will offer you any more than a tantalizing sliver of the band.

You can build a full sized 80 meter vertical with the help of a slingshot, some wire, and a tall tree.  Other suggestions of the HyTower, and the SteppIR BigIR with the 80 meter coil (which is what I use) are also good.

Personally, I'd avoid an elevated, multiband vertical.  Picture three 1/4 wave radials for each band, each hand trimmed and separated enough to avoid interaction, and you'll understand.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:32:51 AM by Tom Hybiske » Logged
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »

Robert,

I have had a MFJ-1798 vertical for more than 10 years in my backyard.  Properly tuned, it will give you a lot of years of good service.  As always with an "all-band" antenna, there will be compromises.  You can get a 2:1 SWR in 100 kHz on 80 meters, so be sure to tune for the part of the band that you would like to operate on.  Also, 6 meters and 17 meters share the same tuning stub, so there will be a compromise based on the band you want to operate on.

Good luck in your quest!

73 DE Bert, KA2UUP
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »

Robert,
 Here is the set-up I have on a 80 X100 foot lot, for 40-10/ 4 ele on 6M I have a SteppIR 3 element with the 30/40M driven element (I paid $1200 for used) $1900 new, it is on a single story house on stilts, it is mounted on a 4 1/2 foot Glen Martin roof tower (<$200) @ 35ft turned by a Ham-II rotor ($125 used) and <$40 for a thrust bearing. For 80/75M I have a double bazooka @ 45-50 feet in trees (<$60 Home Brew). I went in half for a 1000 foot spool of Comscope LMR-400 ($150 for my half on eBay). So for under $2000 I have an antenna system that serves me very well I have worked over 150 DXCC countries since I installed it. So with your budget it can be done you could even go for the SteppIR DB-18 that will give you 2 elements on 40/30M and get a taller Glen Martin Roof tower say 8 or 9 foot.

Good Luck and 73 hope to work you from the new QTH.
Roland AH6RR 
KD7MTI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

Hi,

Thanks everyone!  I need to copy all this and put it in a file for later recall.

We move in a couple of weeks from our qth here in zur hadassa (abt 8 km south west from Jerusalem).  Our new qth will be in Nashville, Tennesse, so a ten tec is probably in my future!

I've go so much information to process now - in a few to several weeks, I'll put the info to use.

I learned quite a bit - and I really appreciate all the input, advice, and sharing of experience.  I am not certain yet with what I will do, but I am certain of a few things I won't do.  Trying to mix and pour cement to support a fifty foot tower is something I won't be doing!

I should be on the air mid-september (qrp) and then qro (well 100 watts) by mid -october.  I am wondering what antennae I will ultimately choose for the various bands I want to work.

73 robert kd7mti / 4z5sw

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »

Don't know if it's too late and you have already chosen your property, but you may not be aware that there are many houses in the US that are located in an area where there are antenna restrictions.

It's certainly something to be aware of if you are still property shopping.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »

Robert, here are some antenna ideas:

http://www.eham.net/articles/21270

Good luck and 73,

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: