Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK 31 on a Mac  (Read 1736 times)
AC3G

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

I've got a new IC7000 and would like to operate PSK 31. I'd like to interface my Mac laptop with it in the easiest way possible. What software and USB interfaces would you recommend?
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »

There aren't many people who use a Mac computer for amateur radio activities, most of the software is for Windows. You'll have to do some Googling but to start you off check out the G3VFP software site, Dave has most softwares.

G0GQK
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »

John, while Mel is correct, us Mac users aren't exactly left out in the cold.

CocoaModem is arguably the best PSK31 and RTTY program in existence for the Mac. As for Logging nd rig control, there's nothing that can hold a candle to MacLogger DX.

Take a look at:

http://www.machamradio.com/

You can find some excellent Mac-based amateur radio software there.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »

I might mention fldigi, which is the one multimode digital program that can be run on Linux, FreeBSD, Win XP, Win Vista, and Mac OSX.

Over the past few months, I have found that I prefer the simpler design, lower resource requirements, and excellent choice of modes. It is also works with flarq, another free and open source program. This suite of programs forms the NBEMS (Narrow Bandwidth Messaging System) which is an ARQ (error correcting) way of sending data with conventional modes.

I can highly recommend it, and we expect a new release with many new features, in a matter of days.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

I use cocoaModem and fldigi on my iMac and they are both excellent programs, each has it's advantages/disadvantages. They're both free so give each one a try.

For a logging program you can't beat MacLoggerDX. I seldom am willing to pay very much for software and usually prefer using freeware, but MLDX is one that I felt was worth purchasing.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »

Forgot about your question about an interface reccomendation.

Home brew it. It really is an extremely simple project. There are LOTS of schematics of interfaces on the internet. I made mine to route audio to/from the radio through the rear ACC. connector and into a USB soundcard. This way I never have to change any settings either on the radio or computer when switching from digital to other modes and my onboard soundcard is free for other applications.

I have done it before with nothing more complicated than two patch cables connecting the radio to the soundcard, it's not ideal but it does work.
AI4VE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

I can recommend Tigertronic's Signal Link USB for an interface. It contains it's own sound card with isolated inputs so Mac system sounds are not a problem and has its own Tx and Rx gain controls. Requires USB cable from laptop and a custom cable (supplied with unit) to your rig's accessory or mic port. Can be found used if you have time, but are worth the $99 retail.

http://www.tigertronics.com/

73-Will
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: