Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing things from the past  (Read 6661 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »

Didn't the movie "Frequency" teach us anything?

73 de Eric, KG6MZS.

PS; enjoyable ham radio flick for those who haven't seen it.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 02:08:09 AM »

He's probably been spending the last few nights on the 718 yelling CQ Hawaii.. CQ Hawaii.. only 3 months left to warn them about Pearl Harbor...
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »

Some people are just too drunk and they begin hearing things from the past.

Either that or they ate some bad mushroom.

Oh god this is too funny. Seems to me that this forum is becoming a science fiction one.

Roll Eyes
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »

To correct that last statement I do not drink alcohol anymore and haven't in almost three months. Some people are to quick to make uninformed statements. Anyway for the most part 99% of all the hams on this forum are willing to try and help its the 1% that mess it up fore everyone. But that is everywhere in life. Thanks to all who have helped me with good advice. Take care 73s. Ham radio 4- life..   chuck/kc8ktn..
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »

Calling Art Bell!!!!!  Two second delay?  Sure!  Two years???  Unless you are in the same fictional situation as in the movie "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid or "Contact" with Jodie Foster, it is impossible!

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »

OK how about this. I built a SW regen with all old 30s parts to duplicate a magazine article and commercial kit set that used a 19 tube as a detector and audio amp.  Got it working good and started tuning around, since it is set up as pretty much general coverage not just ham, and came across the CW portion of one of our ham bands, probably 80M.  Forget which plugin coil I was using.  Started copying some CW and was hearing W9ZN on CW with it.  So cool to hear vintage famous calls on a replica radio like that. Maybe it was the old parts that did the trick.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »

I have always lived with the opinion that nothing is impossible - improbable but not impossible.
A scientist in the 19th century was asked to give an example of something that was impossible - he answered we would never know the composition of the stars. Shortly after, the spectrograph was invented and the spectra of stars was examined and their composition determined.

We live in an age of instant worldwide communications from our shirt pocket, universal access to knowledge databases, GPS navigation in our vehicles, flight at 600mph all over the globe and enormous computer power availability at a domestic level.
Only 100 years ago, any one of these wonders would have been considered black magic.

Quantum effects and the quirky nature of physics at the fundamental level, for me, say that our understanding of the the way we think the universe works is basically incorrect. Experiments to build quantum computers, slow light down to walking speed and a time machine are currently being worked on by serious scientists. Quantum entanglement, where two entities are separated by any distance , yet something done to one is immediately enacted on the other defy normal intuition.
So although I feel this threads subject probably has just a simple explanation - we should never close our mind to the improbable.
The guy working on the time machine can only send stuff into the future but then has to wait for that date to come around to see if the message came through!
Science fiction - so was radio not too long ago.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 06:52:31 AM »

hearing things that aren't there is a symptom of psychosis, a rational and scientific explanation accepted coast to coast.

73  W9OY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »

Okay, there is a 0.000001% chance that his QTH is locked into some sort of a time warp that causes him to continually pick up old broadcasts on a frequency far different than that of the original broadcast.

There is a 99.999999% chance that someone is actually transmitting that broadcast in real time. Which would you bet on?  Grin
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:01 AM »

Was listening around this weekend trying to find some long distant shortwave station and heard something from 2 years ago that wasn't recorded how is this possible.. I have heard that radio signals bounce around out in outer space and some get reflected or bounced back to earth is this possible..

There are multiple causes for this. In order of strength of the delayed echo:

Pranksters messing with you
LSD
Peyote
Mescaline
Good grass
Opiates
Very strong alcohol
Being crazy

Question is..... does a tin foil hat help dim the voices, and do you hear the song "Lunatic Fringe" or something by Pink Floyd playing in the background noise??
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »

heard something from 2 years ago that wasn't recorded

How do you *know* it wasn't recorded 2 years ago and rebroadcast?

"Live" shows are often broadcast live the first time and simultaneously recorded for later rebroadcast - often without editing.

"Saturday Night Live" has been doing it for more than 30 years. They still open with the classic line: "Live! From New York! It's Saturday Night!" - even though the show is years old.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »

I know someone who has done this several times to pull people's chains. He used to record people calling CQ, wait for years, and then play them back. He had a huge collection of cassette tapes.

Last I talked to him was years ago. He was at Dayton to buy a device that he claimed would allow a video recorder to record a whole band, and play the whole band back at one time! It was his whole life's goal to recreate an entire band.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »

hearing things that aren't there is a symptom of psychosis, a rational and scientific explanation accepted coast to coast.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleid=20080326_222_67873

Never change a password on a Friday                
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »

Oral Roberts?  He's still dead
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »

The newspaper article was from October of 1980, but we can still read it today!

Spooky, ehhhhhhhhhh?

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: