Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: astron 35a or 50a for icom 718-running 100w hf  (Read 5085 times)
K1JK

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »

hi gang
going to buy new PS ..running my 718 icom and 2 meter icom
i now the rs-35a will handle it. 
but should i go with the rs-50a
icom PS lot more $$$
is icom any better??
any input?Huh
thank you
jeff k
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »

You didn't state what model Icom PS you were considering, but if it' something like  a PS-125, it will run the IC-718 fine.   The PS-125 is a switching supply however only has a Molex pigtail output on the back, it does not have binding posts, so you will have to do some "customization" to make it work with anything other than an HF rig with the standard 6 position Molex connectors.  I have both an Icom PS-125 and an Astron VS-50M.  For what it's worth, most power supplies are rated in amps ICS, not continuous, so make sure whatever you get will handle all of the loads imposed during high duty cycle (digital, FM, etc) operation.  The Astron is much more versatile and if I were only going to have one PS, it would be the Astron.  Get the highest current rating that you can afford. 

Good Luck
N5VTU
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »

The RS35 will easily handle it. The average current draw from the two radios will normally be nowhere near 35A. Getting a 50A won't hurt anything, but it will be a waste of money unless you plan on adding a lot more load in the future.

Personally, I don't like the idea of running my whole station from a single power supply. It creates a "single point of failure". If that supply fails then my whole station is down. I'd rather have a separate supply for each radio.

W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:26:26 AM »

The 35A will be just fine - no need for the 50A.  Buy the cheaper 35A and buy other ham stuff with the money left over.  Smiley
K1JK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »

thanks guys
just running//718  and vhf  output 50w
not going to be TX on both at same time
just checking to see if astron RS-35a   will handle  718
specs say it draws 20 A--

jeff k
K1JK
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »

The RS35a is rated for 25A continuous and 35A intermittant. Your 718 draws 20A intermittant so you are well within specs. On CW and SSB the 718 only draws 20A momentarily (during voice peaks or when the CW key is closed) and probably runs more like 10-15A average during transmit. During receive it only draws a couple of amps.

The RS35a is plenty for the radios you propose to use with it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »

thanks guys
just running//718  and vhf  output 50w
not going to be TX on both at same time
just checking to see if astron RS-35a   will handle  718
specs say it draws 20 A--

jeff k
K1JK

Of course it will.  It's rated 35A peak, 27A continuously.

If you don't transmit with both rigs at the same time, this is a good choice.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »

I have an Astron RS35M and had it since 1994.  It ran the following:

Kenwood TS450S, Icom 706 MKIIG, Icom 756 Pro, Icom 756 Pro II, Icom 7600 (current rig).  Like others said, don't run both the 718 and 2m rig together and it'll be fine.  You'll have plenty of capacity to spare.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NN6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »

Jeff,

Our take about you question is if your like any other "Ham Radio Op" you'll want MORE, not only basic equipment but MORE POWER!!!  So with that in mind our suggestion is going with the "ASTRON RS-50M" so that you can run a bit more power without worrying about if "I'm going to blow a breaker" ! Initially I was only using a "RS-35M" supply BUT when we demanded more out of that supply it "Could'nt hack it!" So with the garbage that I'm running now I'm using the original 35M and added a "RS-50M" to take up the "slack"!

More equipment means more current demand, so it's a "No-Brainer!"

Jim/nn6ee
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:13:01 PM »

Jim, how about telling us what equipment that you have added to your station that requires a peak current draw of 85A (rs50 plus rs35). Most hams, if they add an amp, power it from 220VAC rather than 12VDC so I assume you don't need all that DC power for an amp.

Unless he's building a multi-operator contest station I don't understand why he would ever need more than an rs35. Even then, if it were me, I'd have multiple power supplies for multiple radios rather than create a single point of failure that could take out the entire station.

Bob
KC8WH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »

I have an Aston 35 amp supply.  And I have an Icom IC-718.

Besides powering the 718 my 35 amp Astron also powers my Kenwood V71, my Kenwood V271 and my old 7930 which is running my packet station.

Except for when the packet station transmits I only transmit on one rig at a time. But they are all powered up all the time.  The 35 amp Astron never misses a beat.

I think the 35 amp version will do you just fine. 
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »

I am not running anything that needs 85 amps but out here in the wide open west I occasionally operate 2 meter FM Simplex with a 160 Watt amp. Between the rig and the amp it would be close to tapping out the RS-35.
You probably won't be doing something like this, but I only recently dug this amp out of a box (I had forgotten I owned it) and was happy I had a power supply that could handle it. Actually I came accross this amp and plugged it into my Rigrunner without giving it any thought. When I saw the amp meter kick up, it dawned on me that if I had my old power supply it wouldn't have handled it.
FWIW: I am using the Samlex SEC-1235M which is rated at 30 amps continuous and 35 amps intermittent and is cheaper than the Astron RS-35A. I own two of these Samlex supplies and have had one of them for a couple years. It seems to be a good supply although I don't use them a lot other than to listen to VHF/UHF. I have owned a couple RS-35s and run my HF station off an RS-70A (which is totally unnessessary). I have always had good luck with the Astron supplies but thought I would try something new because I liked the low profile look of the Samlex for the 2m/440 rig.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: